A medley of alpine wildflowers

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited August 22, 2009 in Landscapes
The latest in the "Danny and Ron visit Mt. Rainier" series...

I took yesterday off work to try and catch some of the last of the wildflowers up at Mt. Rainier before I'm oncall next week. There are some patches that are obviously past peak but there are still some really good spots too.

We were going to shoot sunrise on a trail that neither of us had been on before, and we actually missed seeing the trail junction when it was dark and ended up finding a few spots that would have been better than anything on our intended trail. It would have been a lot less hectic if we had gotten there about 20 minutes earlier.

Here are some of my favorites from dawn/sunrise. I haven't looked at the sunset photos yet.

#1:

626386199_cNQq9-XL.jpg

#2:

626365371_UhHki-XL.jpg

#3:

626384005_ByPxa-XL.jpg

#4:

626385065_HJAzh-XL.jpg

#5: Not too many wildflowers above tree line, but we found a cool little tarn.

626364187_KRMMY-XL.jpg

Comments

• rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    All are very nice Ron, but #3 really does it for me. I just like this particular composition and all of the colors! Excellent!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Exquisite, as always, my friend! Rainier, she never looked more beautiful as when seen through your eyes. clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Ron-
    All of your pictures are so beautiful!! I love when I see your name on a thread because I know my eyes will be in for a real treat. #1 & #3 are my favorite in this series.

Stephanie
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    all really nice, Ron... but i love that last one in B&W...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Very nice captures Ron.

I'll have to throw my favorite vote for #3 also. Great comp, and a very nice mixture of colors.

As always, thanks for posting.
    Randy
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    ront wrote:
    All are very nice Ron, but #3 really does it for me. I just like this particular composition and all of the colors! Excellent!

Ron

Thanks Ron, the third is my favorite composition in this series too. Not too many spots where you could see three distinct flowers (lupine, paintbrush and daisy) all together along with a nice little rock to anchor the foreground. I just wish I had found that composition 10 minutes earlier when the light was at peak, but I'm still happy with how it turned out.
    edited August 22, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Exquisite, as always, my friend! Rainier, she never looked more beautiful as when seen through your eyes. clap.gifthumb.gif

Thanks Mahesh, I've tried to make an effort this year to shoot Rainier more than previous years. I was planning on taking a week off to do it, but work got in the way, so instead I've been doing a bunch of insane 20 hour day trips. Maybe next year I'll be able to do it AND get some sleep at the same time. :D
    edited August 22, 2009
    Ron-
    All of your pictures are so beautiful!! I love when I see your name on a thread because I know my eyes will be in for a real treat. #1 & #3 are my favorite in this series.

Stephanie

Thanks Stephanie, I'm lucky to live so close to Rainier, it's awesome all year long, but this is my favorite time with the wildflowers. I might try and get it in autumn too as the colors are just as good then.
    edited August 22, 2009
    squirl033 wrote:
    all really nice, Ron... but i love that last one in B&W...

Thanks Rocky, that was taken after peak sunrise light, but the "moonscape" type landscape above tree line lends itself well to B&W I think, and B&W can often be done in high-shadow/contrasty light and still look OK.
    edited August 22, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Very nice captures Ron.

I'll have to throw my favorite vote for #3 also. Great comp, and a very nice mixture of colors.

As always, thanks for posting.

Thanks Randy - I was pretty excited when I saw all those flowers in the same area, most of the spots now are just lupine and an occasional paintbrush or daisy, but this spot had good numbers of each.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Nice series of scenes that I got to personally see. We got a great sunrise but I agree that it would have been nice to have an extra 20 minutes to find a good spot while those predawn clouds were still aglow.

I prefer the first three images of this set, especially the third. Those clouds sure got good but a little too late.
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Beautiful flowers and sceneries. You are amazing!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Very nice images Ron ! lovely iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 22, 2009
    Awesome, awesome, series, Ron. bowdown.gif Those flowers in those mountain settings are just unreal. Beautiful.

#3 is the winner by a nose.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited August 22, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Nice series of scenes that I got to personally see. We got a great sunrise but I agree that it would have been nice to have an extra 20 minutes to find a good spot while those predawn clouds were still aglow.

I prefer the first three images of this set, especially the third. Those clouds sure got good but a little too late.

Yeah, it was still a good sunrise all things considered, we were very lucky to find a few patches of wildflowers when it was dark.
    edited August 22, 2009
    tisun wrote:
    Beautiful flowers and sceneries. You are amazing!

Thanks :D The only thing I had to worry about was taking the lens cap off and not bumping the tripod. The scenery is just as if not more spectacular in person.
    edited August 22, 2009
    Very nice images Ron ! lovely iloveyou.gif

Thanks Awais!
    edited August 22, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Awesome, awesome, series, Ron. bowdown.gif Those flowers in those mountain settings are just unreal. Beautiful.

#3 is the winner by a nose.

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks Joel. The Paradise area on Mt. Rainier has some of the best wildflower displays anywhere. It's amazing how dense some of the patches are. I'm lucky I can get there in 2.5 hours whenever the forecast looks promising.