HDR Problems

Mark1123Mark1123 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited August 22, 2009 in Technique
I'm attempting HDR for the first time. Shooting in RAW, I took a total of 5 shots, all 1 EV apart. So far, all I've done is combine the images using Dynamic Photo HDR. As you can see, there are some weird things going on directly above the church in the clouds. Also, there are red dots all over, especially in the darker areas of the image. What am I doing wrong?

626419021_Rg9ab-M.jpg

Camera NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D300
Exposure Time 0.0333s (1/30)
Aperture f/25.0
ISO 640
Focal Length 34mm (51mm in 35mm)
Flash flash did not fire
Exposure Program manual
Exposure Bias 2/1 EV
Exposure Mode manual
If you never know an enemy, how do you understand the worth of a friend?

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 21, 2009
    Sky artifacts like that are usually due to blowouts that the tone mapping can't deal with. Is it possible you had blowouts on your most negatively exposed image? That would be my first guess. You can't have *any* blowouts whatsoever on your most underexposed image. The red dots are noise, which is an odd thing to have considering you appear to have blowouts as well. This would make me suspect your settings. Have you had any luck at all in getting any good HDR shot yet?

I don't think too many folks here use Dynamic Photo HDR. I used it for a while but switched to Photomatix which is what most of us use. Otherwise, I'd offer to suggest some settings.

I'd be interested in seeing the contributing images of that shot if you want to post them. Minimally just the first and last shots in the series, although the middle shot might be helpful as well. Heck, I'll even run them through Photomatix for you if you're interested, assuming the series is ok.

Regards,
    -joel
  • Mark1123Mark1123 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Thanks Kdog...I downloaded a trial of Photomatix and attempted the same pictures. I didn't have any of the same problems. Must be the software. I appreciate your help.

Mark
    If you never know an enemy, how do you understand the worth of a friend?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 22, 2009
    thumb.gif