Options

Travel Photography Conundrum

jlg84jlg84 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited August 10, 2005 in Cameras
I do a lot of traveling, both for work and pleasure, and naturally take a LOT of photos. Until recently, I had only a Canon 10D with a slew of lenses, including a Canon 28-135mm IS, Canon 100-300mm and a Tamron 17-35mm. This was a bit much to carry around on a business trip, so now I have a Sony DSC-F828 as well which serves me OK for those trips.

Now here's the question: when my partner and I travel together, both of us like to have a camera at hand. In the past, one of us would use my Canon Elan IIe 35mm and the other would use the 10D, but I have pretty much given up on film photography. My original thought was to have one of us use the Canon and the other use the Sony, but then I got to thinking about getting a second DSLR, since they are so much easier to use and more flexible, etc.

Is there a new Canon out there that makes it worth investing in a new body already? Does anyone know if Canon plans to come out with a DSLR for amateurs that has a 35mm-size imaging area? What would you do?

Canon 5D Mark II / Canon 50D / 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye / 24-70mm f/2.8L / 16-35mm f/2.8L II / 70-200mm f/2.8L IS / 50mm f/1.4 / Speedlight 580 EX-II / Canon G9
http://shuanglong.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    jlg84 wrote:

Is there a new Canon out there that makes it worth investing in a new body already? Does anyone know if Canon plans to come out with a DSLR for amateurs that has a 35mm-size imaging area? What would you do?

yeah, the 350D - 8mpx, creamy smooth cmos, light and small good for travel.

the prevailing wisdom is that canon isn't coming out with an "amateur" ff camera - though in this shooter's opinion there's room in their lineup for a $3-$4k ff body :D
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    Digital Rebel XT
    The answer to your question begins and ends with the Canon Digital Rebel XT (aka 350D). It's arguably a better camera than the 10D and only costs about US$800-900 for a body. I just bought one and love it. It's not quite the 20D, but I prefer it for it's small size and light weight (I like to travel light too.)

As for a beginer/prosumer SLR with a full frame sensor?--Don't count on it. Canon has developed several EF-S lenses now geared toward the APS-C sensors in the 300D, 350D, and 20D. With their low-noise and high resolution, there's no compelling reason (other than possibly reduced DOF) to put a larger, more expensive sensor in an entry-level DSLR.

That's my take anyway,
    Ben
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    sure there is
    BenA2 wrote:
    ... there's no compelling reason (other than possibly reduced DOF) to put a larger, more expensive sensor in an entry-level DSLR.

...because i want a 1Ds Mark II in a 20D-sized body thumb.gif
  • Options
    OlgaJOlgaJ Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    Another vote for the Rebel XT as a travel camera. It's closer to the G3 in size than it is to the 20D without losing much to the 20D.

large.jpg

And here's a 1DM2 next to the group.

large.jpg

Olga
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    jlg84 wrote:
    Does anyone know if Canon plans to come out with a DSLR for amateurs that has a 35mm-size imaging area? What would you do?
    Would be almost impossible. A 24 by 36mm piece of silicon for that sensor is always going to be expensive.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    jlg84jlg84 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    And what camera did you use to take the picture? (n/t)
    ??
    OlgaJ wrote:
    Another vote for the Rebel XT as a travel camera. It's closer to the G3 in size than it is to the 20D without losing much to the 20D.

large.jpg

And here's a 1DM2 next to the group.

large.jpg

Olga

Canon 5D Mark II / Canon 50D / 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye / 24-70mm f/2.8L / 16-35mm f/2.8L II / 70-200mm f/2.8L IS / 50mm f/1.4 / Speedlight 580 EX-II / Canon G9
    http://shuanglong.smugmug.com
  • Options
    OlgaJOlgaJ Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    Camera used
    to take these shots was a Canon S60.

Olga
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    Canon 5D - your wish come true!
    andy wrote:
    ...because i want a 1Ds Mark II in a 20D-sized body thumb.gif
    Well Andy, it looks like you've just about gotten your wish with the 5D. Could I borrow that genie lamp you're using? I'd like to use it on getting a 12-oz EF-S 35mm f/1.4L USM for a price around $600. Hope you haven't used up all three wishes...

Ben
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    BenA2 wrote:
    Well Andy, it looks like you've just about gotten your wish with the 5D. Could I borrow that genie lamp you're using? I'd like to use it on getting a 12-oz EF-S 35mm f/1.4L USM for a price around $600. Hope you haven't used up all three wishes...

Ben
    I take it we're not talking about the new Minolta Maxxum 5D...

Methinks it's time to go a-surfing!!!

But yeah, If you've got Canon lenses then the 350D will suit you wonderfully. But if you're interested in going totally digital and packing VERY light, then consider any of the new compact DSLR's, the Nikon D50, the Minolta 5D, or the Canon Digital Rebels, and maybe a nice sigma 18-200mm zoom? That's probably the lightest setup you can go with, lol

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum