Options

dss 31 - c&c please

karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
edited August 23, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
626653644_PapuD-L.jpg

Thoughts? This challenge has definitely lived up to the name challenge.

Karl

Comments

• Options
    edited August 22, 2009
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    HI Karl,

I would go with the first one #1

The second one is just not a great crop with the awning cut off like that.

On the first one, I would take it into PS and fix the tilt..
    It is leaning to the left...

Then I would go and open it up a little with a levels adjustment and then go to shadows and highlights tool and bump up the midtone contrast because it is too flat and needs some definition. While in that tool, I would also work the shadows slider a bit too in order to open up the shadow on top. These steps should help to open the light up and even it out, and give it some bite....thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback Kat -- you were definitely right about the midtones. Here is an updated version based on your feedback:

626906823_3Cehv-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    Wow Karl,

That looks much better thumb.gif

I would clone out that blue thing on the upper left hand corner..

Also, ya need an un-sharp mask.. Try 135% at 8 % radius and a threshold of around 11... Just guessing at those numbers, so you will have to play with it until it looks right, but be careful that it does not create any fringing..

I would say your almost there..

I will check back in with ya later.. I am off to shoot mine now.. cutting it close this round..

Nice work..thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    Sharpening is definitely an area I want to read up more on -- thanks for the tips. Here is the next iteration -- would be interested to hear what you have to say about the sharpening.

627097822_HAZky-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    It looks like it helped to define the red edge on the window some.. You could actually sharpen a touch more and it would be fine, but I would not go anymore than just a touch more..

Last thing I would work with now, is the brightness and the contrast to see if you can give the color a little punch and then I think your there..thumb.gif

I love the aqua green and maroon together and I would add some color punch to the pots.. just be careful not to over do it...mwink.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback Kat -- I've put my latest image into the gallery now as the deadline is fast approaching :D

Karl
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2009
    Good luck to ya Karl..thumb.gif