Mac suggestion's

J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
edited August 23, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I'm looking to buy a new 5D II camera, so I want to upgrade my pc at the same time...those are some big file sizes that come off the 5DII.

I'm thinking of going with a mac, I've never used one before, but I always hear good things about them....So I was looking for any suggestions as what to get? It seems like its going to be painful switching everything over, having to buy all new software that is mac compatible, things like that...so anyone have any suggestions on what type of mac...have any experiences switching from a pc to a mac?

:ear
-Joe Allen
My Smugmug Site

Comments

• Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Joe, this question gets asked a lot in a lot of places. Authoritative switchers guides include:

Switchers guide

OSX Guide

Mac Switcher's Guide Book

Macs these days run Windows as well as any PC if you provide the operating systems software. Some popular photographic software will allow you to run both platforms, like Lightroom, or there is a small fee to transfer your license to the other side.

Data generated from Windows applications (and vice-versa) is readible by Macs, so you won't lose anything from your images.

Your hardware purchase decision will come down to either a laptop or a desktop model. My wife just purchased a new Macbook Pro 15-in model with the newly available matte screen. Just incredible design and pleasure of use. My daughter has an older Macbook with the glossy screen, but I would recommend the matte.

Desktop models are essentially an all-in-one iMac or a Mac Pro workstation. The former I would only recommend the 24-in. The screen is very good for photographic work but sooner or later you will run out of disk space (it only holds one drive) and will have to live with multiple external drives--which may or may not be an issue for you.

I purchased the original Mac Pro two years ago and have packed it with four internal drives. Newer models are more powerful, but I don't think I've come close to maxing out its capability (especially since I don't do much video or 3D modeling which truly tests computers). I use it with two monitors and it is wonderful--quiet and faithful.

One last thing, if you have a requirement to run Windows I would recommend either Parallels or Fusion. Either of these set up a virtual Windows environment on your Mac. The cool thing is that you can configure either Parallels or Fusion to visually hide the Windows interface (that alone is worth it for me). This enables a Windows app such as Visio to open alone in just another window. Data to and from the Mac/Windows environment can be copied and pasted as well. Not bad.

M
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    I've always been a PC guy, but my last two laptops have been Macs. I have no interest in going all Mac as I still find PCs easier to work with (I already know them - no learning curve).

You should at least consider the option of not switching.

If you do switch, Miguel told you everything you need to know!
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    I've always been a PC guy, but my last two laptops have been Macs. I have no interest in going all Mac as I still find PCs easier to work with (I already know them - no learning curve).

You should at least consider the option of not switching.

If you do switch, Miguel told you everything you need to know!

I switched to Mac over a year ago, and it wasn't painful at all. I went with an iMac 24", which got me the larger LCD, as well as a very good LCD (it is an IPS screen). Of course the computer is just fine.

I purchased a copy of VMWare Fusion, and used that to copy my Windows machine to the Mac in its entirety. That way, no matter what, I always had a 'fall back'. But, I never used it. I still use VMWare for StarExplorer and a few other utilities, but for the most part I have replaced everything I previously use on the Windows PC. ( I do geek out and put Ubuntu and Win7 on there, which is a different discussion)

At first I was worried about my software, but frankly, I have found options for everything, and most of it was either free, or I was already entitled. For example Lightroom is for mac and pc, and I was able to trade in my CS3 license.

While I had MS Office before, I don't need Office apps on my home pc much, so I use Neooffice, and recently got iWork via the Family Pack from Apple.

I much prefer the iMac to Macbooks for photo editing, which my iMac is really dedicated to. However, having a laptop does have its advantages, but photo editing is not one of them. If you have to have both a laptop and photo editing, a more expensive, but effective route is a Macbook + 23" Cinema display.

Since my iMac, my wife has traded her HP laptop in for a 13.3 Macbook (now called Macbook pro for some weird reason), and I have upgraded her parents aging machine to an iMac. Both cases were frankly done for me, not them: I have far fewer 'service calls' from my wife and in-laws. My in-laws were bad for downloading spyware laden 'tools to speed up' their PC. The switch to Mac made those go away, because even if they still click on those, they will no longer work. My wife now can actually download photos from her camera, and email them to friends, an activity that required me in the middle every time before.

I am not sure why my wife does better on a Mac, but it seems more calming to her, with fewer windows popping up, and things just working. Frankly things just worked on the PC, but it simply gave you options all the time as to what you wanted to do. The Mac just does it, and usually gets it right.

I have found the following sites and info very helpful in my transition to Mac:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2514?viewlocale=en_US

http://bestmacsoftware.org/

http://www.myfirstmac.com/index.php/

http://lifehacker.com/software/mac/hack-attack-a-guide-for-switching-to-a-mac-224674.php
  • J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Wow, thanks so much for all the great information and links!! I think I'm starting to lean more towards a mac :D
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Software licenses can sometimes be moved. (like PS). Also, no need to buy MS Word Excel for Mac (though it's rather reasonable)... just get OpenOffice :D Free, openoffice.org

wave.gif welcome to the smart side.
    edited August 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Software licenses can sometimes be moved. (like PS). Also, no need to buy MS Word Excel for Mac (though it's rather reasonable)... just get OpenOffice :D Free, openoffice.org

wave.gif welcome to the smart side.

Yeah, cause us PC users are dum. mwink.gif

Seriously though, OpenOffice doesn't work for everyone. I can't stand it on Mac or on PC. Since 90% of my work involves using a word processor I'm willing to pay for it, though I do wish I was able to use OOo.

I'll leave the Mac vs. PC debate alone - it all comes down to preference I guess. I'm typing this from my Macbook Pro. Still running OSX at this point. We'll see how long this lasts!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    you use a Macbook Air lol3.gif
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Pupator wrote:

Seriously though, OpenOffice doesn't work for everyone. I can't stand it on Mac or on PC. Since 90% of my work involves using a word processor I'm willing to pay for it, though I do wish I was able to use OOo.

I'll leave the Mac vs. PC debate alone - it all comes down to preference I guess. I'm typing this from my Macbook Pro. Still running OSX at this point. We'll see how long this lasts!

Agree with Paul: if I needed to use my Mac for work , then no question, I would have MS Office. It is the only thing that really works well for Office compatibility. The word processors in OpenOffice and NeoOffice are not bad, but the spreadsheet and presentation software are so bad as to be laughable.

While MS Mac Powerpoint is very compatible with the Windows version, there are a number of things that if created on a Mac are not editable on a PC.
    edited August 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    you use a Macbook Air lol3.gif

Shows what you know. I've moved on to a 13" Macbook Pro. lol3.gif

I couldn't pass up the battery life. deal.gif