Some experiments in HDR.

lazarkllazarkl Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited August 23, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I'm experimenting with HDR using Photomatix Pro. My goal is to refine my techniques to come up with as natural looking (as the human eye sees it) as possible. This has largely been a matter of trial and error. What I'm posting is part of my learning process. Comments more than welcome.

626623134_tGGty-L.jpg
626623391_KN5YK-L.jpg
626625079_9cnux-L.jpg
626625352_6ySyT-L.jpg

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    I don't do HDR myself but I do appreciate much of what I see done using that process. Your work is pleasing to me....it is certainly not to the extreme some folks go for. I do feel, however, that these pictures have a sort of pastel overture to them that might not quite be normal. I do like these shots and that observation on my part is not meant to detract from them. If I were doing HDR, I would be happy with these.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 22, 2009
    Nice shots, but to my eye, they don't really look done yet. HDRs generally need quite a bit of post to look right. Here's about a 30 second adjustment; curves, a bit of saturation, and local contrast enhancement. Dunno how you feel about people editing your shots, and I'll be happy to take this down if you're not cool with it.

My edit:
    626988420_WWx9a-O-2.jpg

Your original:
    626623391_KN5YK-L.jpg

Regards,
    -joel
  • JessyJessy Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    nice pictures to start with but I prefer kdog's edit. I too am in the process of learning HDR by trial and error. My end goal is the same as your's "what the eye sees". But kdog was right not enough contrast or saturation. I think his edit is near to a perfect product.
  • anvilimageanvilimage Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    ...and here is my edit. I'm not big on cranking the saturation slider at all, but this image is definitely lacking in its level of blacks. By adjusting the curves and the black level, it will tend to darken/saturate all of the colors overall. I increased the contrast a bit by giving it more of an "S" curve, too....

Do you shoot in RAW? Did you sharpen at all?
    Joe Ercoli
    My Photo Blog - www.anvilimage.com
    My Smugmug Gallery
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Howdy Lazarkl,

Really very nice images and compositions,
    and I agree with Tom and Joel,
    they have that light pastel look to them,
    they are pleasing to my eye,
    and certainly enjoy them the way they are
    especially that first one it really a very stunning composition,
    but if you are going for the "Natural Look"
    I think the curves adjustment and some sharpening,
    like Joel's rendition shows, but maybe even only 3/4 of that would be "Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust Right":D:D:D

Look forward to seeing more of your work, really am intrigues with your subject and where you're shooting at.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • anvilimageanvilimage Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    my version is a tad on the dark side in the shadows, but if I was to process this with access to all of the exposures I would also blend back in some detail in the shadows. FWIW...

I think it's a great subject and I like the lines of the road leading your eyes to the house. You could probably work that a little more by stepping to your left a couple paces...
    Joe Ercoli
    My Photo Blog - www.anvilimage.com
    My Smugmug Gallery
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    HDR takes a soft touch on the sliders, and some compromises to get a good result. these seem a bit too bright, more so than is realistic. it's also very easy to oversaturate, as some of these photos show, and the smoothing has to be just right to avoid the "halo" effect around the tops of trees, houses, etc. where they meet the sky. the newest version of Photomatix, 3.2, is much better about that than the previous releases.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com