Sunset in Paradise

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited August 26, 2009 in Landscapes
This is the other half of photos from Thursday's trip to Mt. Rainier, these were taken at sunset or a little after. The craggy peaks are the Tatoosh range. The huge volcano is Mt. Rainier :D

#1:

626557584_ArqeU-XL.jpg

#2:

626558332_fdkRJ-XL.jpg

#3: My version of the eruption shot that Danny posted earlier:

626559721_8CN2f-XL.jpg

#4: Dusk on the Tatoosh, the clouds were moving pretty quickly but still had some pink glow. If you look in the foreground on Mazama Ridge you can see some purple patches, those are fields of lupine.

626555629_bDRPh-XL.jpg

#5: After packing my gear I saw this awesome backlit fog that had started to move in. I rushed to find an open spot to photograph it, and a few feet (ok, 75 feet) in front of me a black bear ran across the trail. So I had to wait a little bit before heading back down. That's the second close encounter this year. I just wish I would encounter them with the right lens and in better light!

626560864_AAvWU-XL.jpg

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Man your photos are always treat for eyes ! and heart too clap.gifclap
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • NyteNyte Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    They're all really good, but I love the flowers in the foreground of the first two (particularly the first one). I've seen quite a few people use fields of flowers as foreground interest and it seems to work really well, although I'm not convinced a field full of the dandelions most often found here in Britain would have quite the same effect! ne_nau.gif
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Great shots, Ron (as usual)..

I am surprised to see so many flowers in great shape this late in the month!..
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    WOW, Ron, what an incredible series of photos!! I love #5 as I really do enjoy silhouettes a lot and the lighting in this on is some of the best I have ever seen. I am really glad that you rushed to record this one!!

Thanks for more awesome shots, Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Nyte wrote:
    They're all really good, but I love the flowers in the foreground of the first two (particularly the first one). I've seen quite a few people use fields of flowers as foreground interest and it seems to work really well, although I'm not convinced a field full of the dandelions most often found here in Britain would have quite the same effect! ne_nau.gif

Heh, I actually think dandelions look kind of cool (en masse), but it's an uphill battle convincing the general public of that :D
    edited August 23, 2009
    scole wrote:
    Great shots, Ron (as usual)..

I am surprised to see so many flowers in great shape this late in the month!..
    Yeah, there was a great show this year and it lasted a long time, I can only hope next year is as good.
    edited August 23, 2009
    ront wrote:
    WOW, Ron, what an incredible series of photos!! I love #5 as I really do enjoy silhouettes a lot and the lighting in this on is some of the best I have ever seen. I am really glad that you rushed to record this one!!

Thanks for more awesome shots, Ron

Thanks Ron, I'm a fan of backlit fog scenes, it's rare to get that much color to show through, so we were pretty lucky. In about 5 minutes Rainier was completely under cloud cover, it went from clear to cloudy/foggy in no time at all. The mountain really does make its own weather.
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Heh, I actually think dandelions look kind of cool (en masse), but it's an uphill battle convincing the general public of that :D

hehe, both you and Nyte can come shoot my front lawn next spring!rolleyes1.gif

The first shot is a jaw dropper, the whole series is just incredible. You and Danny have been getting some great stuff lately. Lucky buggers!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Great shots, as always--but that #5 is gonna be by new fave of yours! Beautiful!!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    WOW -- I agree #5 is my favorite too thumb.gif
  • Phil TompsonPhil Tompson Banned Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    The last shot is breathtaking. Absolutely wonderful!
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Great series, Ron. Love the light and colors in the first two.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Holy moly! Great series once again, Ron! Man, I love the 1st two images...the wildflowers alone are beautiful, but put that background in, and the shots become out of this world! clap.gifclap.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited August 24, 2009
    Bryan, Lauren, Mary Kim, Phil, Tom, Mahesh - thanks for the kind words and comments. That's my last wildflower set of the year unless the wildflowers are still around in a week :cry
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Beautiful images! I don't think it was too much a struggle to get good shots during this sunset as the weather couldn't have been any better.
    I really like #2, probably because your shot of the Tatoosh came out a lot better than any of mine.