Options

NiceName not used if entering gallery from an html-only page

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
edited August 23, 2009 in Bug Reporting
How disappointing. I like the new NiceNames feature, and yet it appears not to be available to me because of the way that I structured my site.

I do not use the standard smugmug category and sub-category pages for two reasons - the thumbs are way too small, and the structure isn't sufficient for creating categories without overwhelming the viewer.

I would like to have NiceNames available to me.

If I jump into a gallery from a standard smug catgory screen, the url uses NiceNames.
from category http://denise.smugmug.com/Fragments, I selected gallery Big, bold... - and saw this in my gallery URL - http://denise.smugmug.com/Fragments/Big-bold/8861810_uUnpt

I don't use the smug category screens though. From my html-only gallery representing the Fragments category, at http://denise.smugmug.com/gallery/4857717_vJoHs, I clicked on the gallery Big, bold... - and saw this in my gallery URL - http://denise.smugmug.com/gallery/8861810_uUnpt.

It's the same gallery, and it's public. Why the difference in the URL?

--- Denise

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Denise, I'm so sorry you're disappointed!

Please change your own, custom html links to be NiceNames and you'll be all set thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Please change your own, custom html links to be NiceNames and you'll be all set
    Ah, I missed that requirement. I just assumed that I would inherit the NiceNames. I should have known that would be too good to be true since I am explicitly linking to the galleries.

Thanks for the tip - I'll start making those changes now.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    Ah, I missed that requirement. I just assumed that I would inherit the NiceNames. I should have known that would be too good to be true.

Thanks for the tip - I'll start making those changes now.

--- Denise
    you can get the nicenames from your share button or the browser url
    But we would NEVER EVER go change your own custom html :nono
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    ...But we would NEVER EVER go change your own custom html
    Sorry Andy - I didn't mean to imply that you should.

I just had a brain cramp, thinking that the gallery names would always show regardless of how they were linked. I suppose that's kind of a subtle point. I'm not trying to hide the fact that I own the gallery, and I just assumed that the gallery would always bear the same title. Obviously that wasn't a correct assumption.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    Sorry Andy - I didn't mean to imply that you should.

I just had a brain cramp, thinking that the gallery names would always show regardless of how they were linked. I suppose that's kind of a subtle point. I'm not trying to hide the fact that I own the gallery, and I just assumed that the gallery would always bear the same title. Obviously that wasn't a correct assumption.

--- Denise
    thumb.gif no worries, I'm just glad you're all sorted out :D
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2009
    Andy -
    Thank you - and please pass my thanks on to your sorcerers too.

I was just starting to adjust my html-only galleries to use nice name urls when I realized that they were already pulling up the nice names. That's awesome - and it saved me a huge amount of work.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2009
    Andy -
    Thank you - and please pass my thanks on to your sorcerers too.

thumb.gif