what do I have here?

cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
edited August 24, 2009 in Landscapes
Hi everyone,

Just out tonight shooting some night scenes of my city (Calgary), and in quickly reviewing this one, came across an unidentified (and unintentionally shot) item in the sky. Straight up from the boom of the tallest crane, in the middle of the picture. Very odd. Anyone have any suggestions? Crazy lens flare? Shooting star?

The trail to the left is presumably unrelated - that's an airplane ascending in the middle of my exposure (although I wonder if I caught it entering warp speed?)

This photo has not received any processing yet.
:scratch

627415319_s75Kv-X3.jpg

627415788_9KHTU-XL.png
CW
(shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L

Comments

• photokandyphotokandy Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Hmmmmm.... if I had to make a guess, I'd say crazy lens flare. I've seen some that look very similar in a few of my pics when pointed at a bright light.

What lens where you shooting with? And did you have a filter attached (sometimes those'll do some funky things with light...)?
    ~ Kerri, photoKandy Studios ( Facebook | Twitter )

Need customization services? View our packages or see our templates.

Note: I won't be offended if you edit my photo and repost it on dgrin -- I'm always open to new interpretations
    and ideas, and any helpful hints, tips, and/or critiques are welcome. Just don't post the edit anywhere else
    but dgrin, please.

My Gear List
  • cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    photokandy wrote:
    Hmmmmm.... if I had to make a guess, I'd say crazy lens flare. I've seen some that look very similar in a few of my pics when pointed at a bright light.

What lens where you shooting with? And did you have a filter attached (sometimes those'll do some funky things with light...)?

Thanks Kerri,

I was shooting with a 24-105 L, with a simple UV filter attached.

EXIF:

f8
    25 sec.
    -0.03 exp
    ISO 200
    focal length: 24 mm.

I noticed it in another shot from the same location (which removes shooting star potential, but not another galaxy ROFL) but not others... This is very weird looking lens flare for sure! Other opinions are welcome - I'll have to watch for flare in the future. Got quite a bit of the unwanted stuff throughout my adventures last night. rolleyes1.gif
    CW

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • DripfaucetDripfaucet Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    North Korea Missile testing.
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    I actually have a few photos with almost the exact same flare (same color). I originally thought it was my PL filter.. then i removed it and re-shot, and it was still there. I chalked it up to an anomolie? but i to wonder what causes it.

Nice shot btw.. clap.gif
    Devin
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Whatever that light is, the image is very nice. Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Thanks you guys... I promise I'll post them once I've processed them... Each could benefit from a little tidying up and some level alterations.
    CW

• PackingMyBagsPackingMyBags Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Yup, lens flare...especially with a UV filter. That glare is more than likely a reflection from the cranes light.