New Modern Wing of the Art Institute of Chicago

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
edited August 25, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I was recently in Chicago and had a chance to visit the new modern wing of the Art Institute, which opened in May of this year. Designed by Renzo Piano, it rather looks like a generic airport terminal from the outside:

627573466_MAgxb-L.jpg

It is not readily visible from the main facade of the museum, though, so the clash of styles is minimized. There is a pedestrian bridge that connects it to Millennium Park.

627574365_njiqJ-L.jpg

While it may be unremarkable from the outside, the galleries themselves are bright and airy. The architecture never competes with works on display. Note to Frank Lloyd Wright: this is the way it should be. This is the main entrance:

627575996_faA2q-L.jpg

The AIC permits photography (without flash or tripod) so I had the chance to put my new 50D through its paces at higher ISOs. It performed fairly well, quite a bit better than my old 20D. Here's a visitor trying to make sense of Mark Rothko. You either like it or you don't:

627576747_K7zM7-L.jpg

And another visitor not even trying with Magritte:

627577276_Smxbx-L.jpg

There are also some contemporary works on display. A series of galleries showcase American artist Robert Gober's work, featuring found objects and variations on 50's style wallpaper:

627578173_uFBxv-L.jpg

I didn't have a wide enough lens to capture it all, but in addition to the wedding dress in the center, there are sacks of kitty litter on all four walls. The wallpaper itself is strange, a repeating pattern of a sleeping white man and a lynched black man. Here's a 100% crop from the above pic:

627581693_jxzcb-M.jpg

I don't have a clue what any of this is supposed to mean, but I was impressed with the detail that the 50D could capture. All those pixels do come in handy.

627579391_QpqBt-L.jpg

The guard was not impressed with Gerhard Richter's photorealist Woman Descending the Staircase. I had never seen it in person before and thought it was pretty neat.

Although the galleries themselves never intrude on the viewing experience, the curtains are translucent, and some visitors seemed to be more interested in the views of the Chicago skyline:

627579890_8tSda-L.jpg

One has to sympathize some, as it is an impressive view. Here's the view from the restaurant terrace on the top level:

627575255_o3h7N-L.jpg

Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoyed the brief tour. C&C always welcome.

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 23, 2009
    I like some of the more modern galleries in the sense some make quite a statement on the outside yet their insides are just the opposite--as it should be. I don't know this looks like an airport terminal though. It does but it looks more institutional than that.

The photographs inside are good. I like the way you've included the patrons as well as the artwork to give us something to consider.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    The photographs inside are good. I like the way you've included the patrons as well as the artwork to give us something to consider.
    Have to agree with that. Nicely done effort in your pictures. Also like the
    first one shown. Very neat photo also. Always amazes me what passes
    for "Art". Like in image #4. Gotta question that one. Detail as seen in 7
    just blows me away. Kitty litter ta boot. Above my head. Think I get the
    concept. But it is still strange stuff to me.

:D Quality work Richard. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 24, 2009
    Thanks for commenting, guys. Unless you are preparing a catalog, I never understood the point of taking pictures of artwork unless you either capture something of the context as well (interaction with people) or present it in an unfamiliar way (details of sculpture). The museums always sell inexpensive prints of their works that are of a higher quality that we are likely to achieve given the shooting rules and conditions. I think most of the people you see taking shots of famous works of art on their cell phones are simply collecting proof that they have seen it, much like they would take a pic of the Golden Gate Bridge or Eiffel Tower:

59087770_gtwKY-M.jpg

As for #4, like I said, you either like it or you don't. Rothko paintings regularly sell for 8 digit prices, so some people clearly do. :D
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 24, 2009
    Richard wrote:

As for #4, like I said, you either like it or you don't. Rothko paintings regularly sell for 8 digit prices, so some people clearly do. :D

I've always enjoyed going to the art museums and seeing the stuff. Even the ones you don't like are worth the contemplation.

What I really like about them is going as a bystander. That is for the people and not the art. It is often worth the price of admission alonelol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Cool set, but I really like #5 clap.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 25, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Cool set, but I really like #5 clap.gif

Thanks Dan. Glad you liked them.