DSS#31 open circles

BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
edited August 23, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Took this yesterday while shooting flowers at Cheekwood Gardens in Nashville. Interior shot of a permanent installation in the Sculpture Garden:

Blue Pesher, James Turrell

627687969_39XDt-L.jpg

From the Cheekwood website:

' "Pesher" is an ancient Hebrew word meaning, "to comment upon." In this room, discover a commentary on the heavens. Enter the chamber, sit, look up and reflect. The longer you stay, the more sensitive your perceptions will become. '

Besides the obviously open ceiling revealing the sky above, all of the circles implied in the image are cut by the edges of the frame, leaving them open.

And I am open to any and all C&C! Thanks for looking. :)
Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!

Comments

• DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Although it does not scream the theme at me, I like the shot. DO you have the ability to have a different crop to include the whole circle opening to the sky? Might bring the theme around. Just my .02
    Is that water in the bottom circle?
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    It's a cool idea and a cool scene, but I think that a different composition is in order. This one feels a little bit empty to me, as I have a hard time identifying a subject and there is not much happening in the middle. It's almost like the circles are framing the emptiness. Do you have any other shots/crops that you can post for comparison? I'd love to see more options, because I think it's a good approach.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Hey Ben,,

I agree with Chris and Cory....thumb.gif

Is this SOOC or is this an intentional crop?

Kat