Three new ones

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited September 3, 2009 in People
There is most definitely a back story - but for now I'll just post the three images. I'll back-fill with the back story later.:D
627786743_TBFkh-XL.jpg

627786718_5Ccx8-XL.jpg

627786701_468th-XL.jpg
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    The second one make you really want to know the conversation. The thrid one has a wonderful manic look to the subject.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Seems like they met after long time....:D
    Waiting for the real story.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 23, 2009
    I enjoy seeing your images a great deal, BD, and spending some time studying them.

I like these a lot, and enjoy how they break the rules. Leica shots again with that lack of glare against the back lighting?

Typically, one wants their subject to be brighter than the background - think theatrical lighting in a stage production. But its not here.

Frequently, it is suggested that the edges of the image should be darker than the center to keep the eye from wandering off the image. That is not here either.

The shadows are blocked in the shirt in the first image, but who cares?

I can see that these images sing! The gesture in each is what makes these images sing to me.

My comments are not to be construed here as impertinent, but quite complimentary in tone.

I must examine these some more.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    I enjoy seeing your images a great deal, BD, and spending some time studying them.

I like these a lot, and enjoy how they break the rules. Leica shots again with that lack of glare against the back lighting?

Typically, one wants their subject to be brighter than the background - think theatrical lighting in a stage production. But its not here.

Frequently, it is suggested that the edges of the image should be darker than the center to keep the eye from wandering off the image. That is not here either.

The shadows are blocked in the shirt in the first image, but who cares?

I can see that these images sing! The gesture in each is what makes these images sing to me.

My comments are not to be construed here as impertinent, but quite complimentary in tone.

I must examine these some more.

No problem at all -
    These weren't shot with Leica glass - I gave that up quite a while ago.
    The shirt is blocked up, but there's a lot of detail there - I should work it.:D

As to the back story... Awais came shockingly close to nailing it!
    The woman is my wife; the man was my best friend in elementary school, who I hadn't seen in almost 50 years, and hadn't spoken with in almost 40! He and his wife spent about four days with us, and it turned out to be a truly wonderful experience.

As to the photo rules - weren't they created for breaking?rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    That's Tosci's isn't it. It really should be against some human rights convention to tempt people with Tosci's when there's no reasonable chance to have any in the foreseeable future.

The third shot is the easiest to enjoy with the more traditional composition and the direct contact with the subject. I'll need to think about the other two.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    That's Tosci's isn't it. It really should be against some human rights convention to tempt people with Tosci's when there's no reasonable chance to have any in the foreseeable future.

The third shot is the easiest to enjoy with the more traditional composition and the direct contact with the subject. I'll need to think about the other two.
    It is Tosci's! I had a scoop of Belgian chocolate sorbet with one of coconut sorbet!
    Tosci's is my "office" for meeting with my MiIT students.

You, btw, of all people, should not be thinking rules.wings.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    No problem at all -
    These weren't shot with Leica glass - I gave that up quite a while ago.
    The shirt is blocked up, but there's a lot of detail there - I should work it.:D

As to the back story... Awais came shockingly close to nailing it!
    The woman is my wife; the man was my best friend in elementary school, who I hadn't seen in almost 50 years, and hadn't spoken with in almost 40! He and his wife spent about four days with us, and it turned out to be a truly wonderful experience.

clap.gifclapclap.gif I think power of your photo really spoke to me.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery