ANSWER to the Lightbeam Quiz

gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
edited August 23, 2009 in Technique
<cue drum role>

OK! To the thousands who posted and continually called and telegrammed, to the CNN staff and all the rest: thank you for such wonderful answers and guesses. But no one was right on the button.

I think it’s time to give the answer or the excitement will become dangerous. So………. <cue bugles>……

HERE IT IS!!! :

But wait! First: one last look: (answer below photo)
22634427_8Xccx-L-3.jpg

<Bugles continue>

The light-beam on Parliament is caused by a crease in the film negative.

AHA! Yep, a little old wrinkle. I saw it when scanning and was disappointed when I saw it on the image after. BUT, then I saw IT! I WAS THE ONLY PHOTOGRAPHER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD TO HAVE CAUGHT THE CELSETIAL LIGHT BEAM ON PARLIAMENT.
And the rest is history... (I also helped history a little by tweaking the light on the building where the "beam" ended, so it looked like it was shining there - and to give more of the illusion that the crease and the buildings in the photo were on the same plane. Andrew was very astute, they didn't quite line up if you really looked closely.)

(The hint about the household applicance used in everyday situations that are similar? : an iron, to iron a crease in clothing, or iron out wrinkles etc.)

I want all the participants to share the prize of the never-before seen photo of Abraham Linclon and share the wealth from it. Here it is <cue drum roll>

(please scroll down to increase excitement)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

At the Lincolns' home in Everett, Washington: Abrahm Lincoln, 23, center, with his parents Dean and Kryssia. One of the few in the US to share the late President's name.

Maybe someone else could post their mysteries-in-photo.
Bye
gvf
-

Comments

• eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Oh, yeah! The old "bend the negative" trick! Oldest one in the book and we all missed it. rolleyes1.gif

Old Abe Lincoln is hiding behind the sofa, right? :D
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Right, Abe is in the middle. The crease in the negative by the way was unintentional. Cheers!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    I was totally focused on the camera, not the film itself.
    Had fun, though.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Interesting, and fun!
    Growing with Dgrin

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 23, 2009
    I thought about the lights one gets shooting film in very cold weather sometimes, but then London isn't that coldne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin