Car Parts

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited August 23, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Went to a drag race sponsored by The Jalopy Journal. I did not try to shoot any action shots (too far away, not much telephoto reach). Instead I concentrated on the pits. Shooting in the pits turned out to be a lot tougher than I anticipated. All the cars were mixed in with trailers, tow vehicles, campers, tents and any number of other hideous background objects. I either had to shot whole-car with ugly background or concentrate on partial car shots. Here are some of the ones I liked:

627969773_Mhj4S-L-2.jpg

627969242_tVPsi-L.jpg

627965665_WU4mM-L.jpg

627969704_EmNTb-L.jpg

And to finish up, one that I looked at during post and said "You idiot!!! Why didn't you just move to your left and pan right so you got the strip and the cars at the front of the staging lanes!"
628063121_xXUi8-L.jpg

Anyone have suggestions for dealing conditions like these (subjects surrounded with a sea of ugly background)?

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    cletus wrote:

Anyone have suggestions for dealing conditions like these (subjects surrounded with a sea of ugly background)?
    Try a lensbaby or more shallow depth of field shots. The latter being your better chance in this sort of situation where so much is jammed together.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook