Old Texas Church

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited August 24, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I was out for a ride today, and this closed down old church caught my eye.

As always, C&C welcome...
Randy

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Randy,

This is really well done. You are really getting this type PP down pat and it goes so well with a subject like this. It doesn't get much better than this.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Very good -- I like your pp's on it thumb.gif

Old churches that are boarded up is such a sad sight to see. I'm happy to see that the lawn is mowed and hopefully if there is a cemetery someone is looking over it.

Is that your pick-up in the distance :D
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Randy,

This is really well done. You are really getting this type PP down pat and it goes so well with a subject like this. It doesn't get much better than this.

Take care,

Tom

Very kind words and I do appreciate them Tom
    Randy
    edited August 24, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Very good -- I like your pp's on it thumb.gif

Old churches that are boarded up is such a sad sight to see. I'm happy to see that the lawn is mowed and hopefully if there is a cemetery someone is looking over it.

Is that your pick-up in the distance :D

Yep, its sad about the boarded up church. There is a cemetery, and it was also mowed, so maybe there's still hope for the church.

I don't own a pick-up presently. This is what I was on:

(pic obviously from a different trip)
    108818225_C4kUT-M.jpg

Thanks for the comments.
    Randy
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Nice image. Wish that one branch wasn't covering the corner there, but not much you can do.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited August 24, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Nice image. Wish that one branch wasn't covering the corner there, but not much you can do.

Thanks for looking & commenting Andrew
    Randy
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Very nice Randy. I don't generally like B&W, but I do really like what you did here!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    edited August 24, 2009
    ront wrote:
    Very nice Randy. I don't generally like B&W, but I do really like what you did here!

Ron

Thanks for the comment Ron, especially since B&W's not your cup of tea.

I'm not married to B&W either. I've been working on this particular look for some time, and therefore I've put out several B&W's lately. It's good to have the ability to process how best suits your needs for a given image.

I've also been trying to force myself to take photograph's of scenes that aren't particularly "photo" worthy. I'm hoping this regular exercise will force me to grow as a photographer.

Again, thanks for your input.
    Randy
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Yep, its sad about the boarded up church. There is a cemetery, and it was also mowed, so maybe there's still hope for the church.

I don't own a pick-up presently. This is what I was on:

(pic obviously from a different trip)
    108818225_C4kUT-M.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

Nice ride, I always like yellow bikes!

You are going through your landscape / deserted buildings phase and I am enjoying all the photos - riding and taking shots is a great past time. I always find when I do it, I dont like to stop, so I see alot of great stuff, but always want to continue on to go further.

Randy: Are you on ADV Rider as well? (www.advrider.com)

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
    edited August 24, 2009
    Zanotti wrote:
    Nice ride, I always like yellow bikes!

You are going through your landscape / deserted buildings phase and I am enjoying all the photos - riding and taking shots is a great past time. I always find when I do it, I dont like to stop, so I see alot of great stuff, but always want to continue on to go further.

Randy: Are you on ADV Rider as well? (www.advrider.com)

Z

Hey Z,

I'm building galleries, and old buildings happens to be what I'm working on now. The landscapes are just from my Colorado trip with my grandson's.

As you know, and those who don't ride, don't know; It takes MUCH MORE discipline to stop for a photograph when on a bike than when you're traveling in a car. You pull over, take gloves off, take glasses off, take helmet off, open trunk, get camera, take image, reverse process...

I've never been to ADV Rider. I'll check it out.

Whatcha' riding?
    Randy
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    It's always a pleasure to see a new picture from you, Randy, and this one is no exception. Absolutely beautiful! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited August 24, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    It's always a pleasure to see a new picture from you, Randy, and this one is no exception. Absolutely beautiful! thumb.gifthumb.gif

I'm afraid that I'm wearing you guys/gals out, especially last week from my Colorado trip images. I do appreciate everyone's feedback, and I hope some even get a little enjoyment from an image or two.

Like I stated in an earlier post; I'm really pushing myself to take images of "normal" scenes to see if I can create not only a decent image, but hopefully one that I'm pleased with both technically and artistically.

So, what that really means; watch out! There could be some boring stuff showing up... rolleyes1.gif So don't be shy about setting me straight.

Thanks again for your comments thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited August 24, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Hey Z,

I'm building galleries, and old buildings happens to be what I'm working on now. The landscapes are just from my Colorado trip with my grandson's.

As you know, and those who don't ride, don't know; It takes MUCH MORE discipline to stop for a photograph when on a bike than when you're traveling in a car. You pull over, take gloves off, take glasses off, take helmet off, open trunk, get camera, take image, reverse process...

I've never been to ADV Rider. I'll check it out.

Whatcha' riding?

I have a couple:

41043567_uMskA-L-1.jpg

213262798_WFkaA-L.jpg
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
    edited August 24, 2009
    Nice Z thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited August 24, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Nice Z thumb.gif

I tried to learn that photo technique from Pathfinder. He has a few masterful BMW motorcycle photos that should be in a museum!

ADVRider.com is the sister site to here, mostly based upon trip reports. It started as a BMW GS site and morphed into a any bike travel site. Stay away from Jo momma, its a dangerous place.

Many here are also ADV Riders, the two sites kind of morphed from one another - Baldy owns both. Andy, Pathfinder, WXWax a few dozen others migrate between the two.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Nice motorcycle thumb.gif
    edited August 24, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Nice motorcycle thumb.gif

Thanks Mary,

She's seen both coast, and a whole lot of in-between thumb.gif
    Randy