first b/w conversion

DripfaucetDripfaucet Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited August 26, 2009 in Landscapes
I had been doing some reading on both stitching and black and white conversions but had not had the chance to try either. I took a hike while visiting colorado springs and made this attempt:
629511905_tJhwB-XL.jpg

the photo stitching was not as easy i had read. i would have definitely benefited from a tripod, but such was not the case. the exposure on my images were different for sky and mountain and it caused problems merging them together. i tried to mask and blend the problem areas, but i can still see the areas i worked on.

i also feel like the bush in the forefront is more distracting than helpful, but i am more interested in the merge and conversion critique. thanks.

Brad

p.s. the "original" image is quite large. a fuller size is available at wormer.smugmug.com if you would like to dig in further for your comments.
Brad

wormer.smugmug.com

Comments

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    I would suggest trying to lighten the area in the center of the landscape with the pines. They are pretty dark and I suspect there is a lot of detail in there. If you do that I would darken the foreground brush to bring emphasis to the center of the picture and give some more depth.
  • DripfaucetDripfaucet Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    thanks! i'll give that a try.
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Nice scene! I really like the sky with the beautiful clouds. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited August 24, 2009
    thanks, the beautiful scenery was the easy part.
    it was an awesome hike.
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com
    edited August 24, 2009
    img updated based on user critiques. better?
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Hi Brad,

Definitely better! I like this image in that there are lines moving from the top right corner to t he bottom left and because b/w images really bring out textures, this is very apparent. Awesome!

However other than that there isn't much going for it, subject-wise. I think this is a great first try but I'd love to see you keep shooting and practicing with conversions, stitching, compositions, all kinds of stuff. thumb.gif
    edited August 26, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Hi Brad,

Definitely better! I like this image in that there are lines moving from the top right corner to t he bottom left and because b/w images really bring out textures, this is very apparent. Awesome!

However other than that there isn't much going for it, subject-wise. I think this is a great first try but I'd love to see you keep shooting and practicing with conversions, stitching, compositions, all kinds of stuff. thumb.gif

point well taken schmoo. i was basically flying out to colorado and bought outdoor photography magazine on my way. read an article about stitching and figured i'd try it out. love the technique and will keep bringing shots to the table :)
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com