Upgrading PC - Video Card Needed?

VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
edited August 27, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
First off, im a big computer guy. I build/work on computers for a living. I'm upgrading my machine from the following:

Quad Core (9550) processor, 2GB ram, GeForce 8600 (128bit, 256MB) to the following:

Quad Core (9550, keeping CPU), 8GB ram (new motherboard also and new 64 bit OS), GeForce 9600 (256bit, 1GB)

Now my question... been talking to a friend of mine... with CS4, will the video card really improve anything much? I'm going from 2GB to 8GB of ram, which will definitly help, and a from a 32bit os to a 64bit os... sooo should i go with the video card or ditch it? Its an extra hundred bucks in the cost for my upgrade.

Comments

• NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Vycor wrote:
    First off, im a big computer guy. I build/work on computers for a living. I'm upgrading my machine from the following:

Quad Core (9550) processor, 2GB ram, GeForce 8600 (128bit, 256MB) to the following:

Quad Core (9550, keeping CPU), 8GB ram (new motherboard also and new 64 bit OS), GeForce 9600 (256bit, 1GB)

Now my question... been talking to a friend of mine... with CS4, will the video card really improve anything much? I'm going from 2GB to 8GB of ram, which will definitly help, and a from a 32bit os to a 64bit os... sooo should i go with the video card or ditch it? Its an extra hundred bucks in the cost for my upgrade.

I would go with the better quality card.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html
    "Photoshop CS4 leverages the graphics display card's GPU, instead of the computer's main processor (the CPU) to speed its screen redraw. For Photoshop to access the GPU, your display card must contain a GPU that supports OpenGL and has enough RAM to support Photoshop functions--at least 128 MB of RAM--and a display driver that supports OpenGL 2.0 and Shader Model 3.0."

http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/opengl.html
    OpenGL support in After Effects CS4
  • VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Ended up spending the $99 for a 1GB video card.

Also upgraded to Windows 7... then "downgraded" to Windows XP Pro x64... i really missed windows xp, and since they offer it in x64, there ya go...