Challenge #31 Didn't use it

TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
edited August 25, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
You know how you sometimes get an idea that a particular shot will be perfect for a mandate competition? This morning I came up with the idea of a shooting a turtle all closed in his/her (how do you tell?) shell and giving it a title of "Closed for the day" or something.

The problem is finding a turtle when you want one. I headed out to some back roads near the St John's River (Central Florida) watching for turtles. Three hours later I'd taken some photographs of a few butterflies, some purple Beautyberries (Callicarpa Dichotoma Issai), and some members of the Warlocks motorcycle club who were assembling for a Poker Run. (Tip: When photographing biker gang members, always, always ask if they mind before raising the camera.)

Finally found a Cooter crossing the road and snapped away. Problem was he/she wouldn't retract into his/her shell. I'm thumping the shell and smacking the road in front of the turtle's nose, and it wouldn't retract. I finally poked the beast's nose and it pulled back enough to get my picture.

Got home, downloaded the card, and didn't like the photo. Yeah, it's a clear shot of a turtle, but it doesn't have any pizzazz. Nothing really interesting about it. So I entered something else in #31. Here's what won't appear:

628474652_GamXR-L.jpg
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Clean shot, great idea. I ran into the same issue as well, but never was never able to bring it to life.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    FWIW, I really like the turtle shot. ne_nau.gif
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:

and some members of the Warlocks motorcycle club who were assembling for a Poker Run. (Tip: When photographing biker gang members, always, always ask if they mind before raising the camera.)
    [/IMG]

eek7.gif ummm... did you NOT ask permission before raising the camera?
    Laughing.gif... and yep it is a good idea.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    eek7.gif ummm... did you NOT ask permission before raising the camera?
    Laughing.gif... and yep it is a good idea.

Living in Central Florida, with Daytona so close, opportunties to photograph bikers are abundant. One of my Smugmug galleries is some shots from the Cabbage Patch (a biker bar). I prefer to photograph the people, not the machines.

Bikers seldom mind having their photo taken. It's a bit different, though, when the group is a gang like the Warlocks or the Outlaws. The photographer has to be a bit cautious with them. As individuals, they can be OK. With others watching, though, some can be a bit...uhhh...difficult.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited August 24, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Living in Central Florida, with Daytona so close, opportunties to photograph bikers are abundant. One of my Smugmug galleries is some shots from the Cabbage Patch (a biker bar). I prefer to photograph the people, not the machines.

Bikers seldom mind having their photo taken. It's a bit different, though, when the group is a gang like the Warlocks or the Outlaws. The photographer has to be a bit cautious with them. As individuals, they can be OK. With others watching, though, some can be a bit...uhhh...difficult.

Laughing.gif, yea, I have never run into any biker that didn't want him/her self photographed... especially if you get the bike in there... but I haven't had to approach any that worried me. One group I wasn't sure of, but it was a very public place... they turned out to be very nice. They appreciated the photos I sent them also.
    but I always ask. :D
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Your turtle is really great Tony :D
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited August 25, 2009
    Oh, Tony... I'm sorry... the word biker distracted me..mwink.gif

15524779-Ti.gif ~ Love the turtle.