A Sunday Boat Ride

jethibodjethibod Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
edited August 24, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
We went out for a boat ride yesterday on the Ottawa river, and I brought my new Sigma 10-20...

What do you think? If I look for long enough, I start feeling a little seasick!!
DSC_0109.jpg

This is a shot of one of the many sailboats on the water.
DSC_0097.jpg

And this is a shot of our boat waiting to go back home.
DSC_0130.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Jen

Live today like you'll wish you would have 10 years in the future. You only get one life; this is it...live it up. -
Joy Nash

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Nice images. I think the nausea on the first comes from the boat being tilted to the left and the horizon to the right. I couldn't look at it too long. Perhaps get the horizon level...

The second one seemed out of focus. Just a suggestion that may not play out very well: Perhaps try running the unsharp mask over the boat (or the whole image). Boost the white point a bit as well (again at least on the boat).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    I like #1 a lot. It reminds me of cruising on the ICW at my Mom's house in North Carolina. Where was this taken?
  • jethibodjethibod Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Nice images. I think the nausea on the first comes from the boat being tilted to the left and the horizon to the right. I couldn't look at it too long. Perhaps get the horizon level...

The second one seemed out of focus. Just a suggestion that may not play out very well: Perhaps try running the unsharp mask over the boat (or the whole image). Boost the white point a bit as well (again at least on the boat).

Thanks for the tips Andrew - I'll try tilting the horizon a bit and see what happens. We were moving fairly fast (well, for me, anyway) so it was tough to hold myself and the camera quite right. I'll keep practicing, though!

As for the unsharp mask - I only have Aperture to play with, and am kind of a noob on the whole thing, at that. Does it have the unsharp feature?

Thanks again for the feedback!
    Jen
    Jen

Live today like you'll wish you would have 10 years in the future. You only get one life; this is it...live it up. -
    Joy Nash
    edited August 24, 2009
    Zerodog wrote:
    I like #1 a lot. It reminds me of cruising on the ICW at my Mom's house in North Carolina. Where was this taken?

Hi Zerodog - we were on the Ottawa River, just west of Aylmer and Kanata.

I have a friend from the Carolinas - beautiful!!! (psst..what is the ICW?)
    Jen

Joy Nash
    edited August 24, 2009
    jethibod wrote:
    Thanks for the tips Andrew - I'll try tilting the horizon a bit and see what happens. We were moving fairly fast (well, for me, anyway) so it was tough to hold myself and the camera quite right. I'll keep practicing, though!

As for the unsharp mask - I only have Aperture to play with, and am kind of a noob on the whole thing, at that. Does it have the unsharp feature?

Thanks again for the feedback!
    Jen

I'm usually having to correct horizontal, especially if I'm in a hurry. I find myself more amazed when I don't have any rotation that I need or want to correct.

No idea about aperture. The unsharp mask lives under the sharpening tools. You can try some other sharpening filters to see what you can get. If you want, I can pull this little image down and do a sharpen on it just to see what it might look like (or point me at a higher res image).
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 24, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I'm usually having to correct horizontal, especially if I'm in a hurry. I find myself more amazed when I don't have any rotation that I need or want to correct.

No idea about aperture. The unsharp mask lives under the sharpening tools. You can try some other sharpening filters to see what you can get. If you want, I can pull this little image down and do a sharpen on it just to see what it might look like (or point me at a higher res image).

Thanks! That would be cool if you could try it out. I've just started shooting in RAW - this is one of the first 20 images - isn't that the highest res? I did crop this image from the original - here's the original shot.

DSC_0097-1.jpg

Thanks for your help Andrew!
    Jen

Joy Nash
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    I do really like the 1st one. It shows SPEED to me and also screws with my eyes a bit. The right half of the sky is a bit overexposed and I think that could easily be fixed. The others don't really do a lot for me.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    edited August 24, 2009
    Compressed the levels below the horizon and sharpened the whole image. Literally 2 minutes spent, so your mileage may vary.

Sailboat.jpg
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 24, 2009
    The sharpen is exaggerating what is either something on your sensor, or a water spot on your lens in the sky. About 1.5cm directly over the sailboat and about 1cm to the right.

-a
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 24, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Compressed the levels below the horizon and sharpened the whole image. Literally 2 minutes spent, so your mileage may vary.

Thanks Andrew - it definitely does look sharper now. Looking at them side by side, I can very much see the difference. I've been playing with it over the last couple of minutes - really just a different crop. I found the sharpening tool in the RAW fine tuning section, but it didn't seem to do anything. Does this look any better? (I mean, besides the sharpness issue...)

DSC_0097_2.jpg

I've been told often that my images look soft; very often when it's a shot where I use the zoom. I guess it's something to look into. I did notice the fleck of whatever it was, not just in this shot, but in a few others. I tried to clean my filter, but it could be something on the lens itself. I bought it second hand, so I guess I'll look into it.
    Jen

Joy Nash
    edited August 24, 2009
    Looking good. I think you could punch up the whites below the horizon (if you can mask off the levels). Then that sail will have more pop to it. The crop is better since you get much better detail in the image.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site