Do I have a focus problem?

Graham CrackerGraham Cracker Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
edited August 24, 2009 in Cameras
Just got a 1DM3 and used it last Friday night for football. Several times as I was shooting a series, multiple frames were out of focus. Some frames at beginning and end were in focus. IS this the problem everyone has stated that was an issue with the 1DM3 or is it the photographer? I have read about lots of people having this issue but not sure what the focus issue is exactly. The action in the pictures out of focus were centered and within the "19 points of autofocus" Thanks Patrick
PDG
Canon 1DM3, 20D & 40D, Canon f/2.8 70-200mm IS, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Just got a 1DM3 and used it last Friday night for football. Several times as I was shooting a series, multiple frames were out of focus. Some frames at beginning and end were in focus. IS this the problem everyone has stated that was an issue with the 1DM3 or is it the photographer? I have read about lots of people having this issue but not sure what the focus issue is exactly. The action in the pictures out of focus were centered and within the "19 points of autofocus" Thanks Patrick

please post som sample shots with exif data
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Graham CrackerGraham Cracker Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    please post som sample shots with exif data

OK I will tonight, on home computer waiting for processing. Thanks
    PDG
    Canon 1DM3, 20D & 40D, Canon f/2.8 70-200mm IS, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    The action in the pictures out of focus were centered and within the "19 points of autofocus" Thanks Patrick

I'd say that's the issue right there.

For sports, you need to use only the center focus point. If you use more, what happens is that anything that's in (who knows which one of the active focus points), the camera will try and focus on that. That just won't work well at all.

Try again, this time only use the center focus point. Then, if you have focus issues, use the free Canon software that came with the camera to view your images in question. Zoom Browser EX I believe... You can enable it to display on your image the active focus point when the image was taken.

I've heard many a photog on here swear that their focus was on the subject, but Zoom Browser EX proved it wasn't.

Hope that helps...
    Randy