Options

MX photographer down

ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
edited November 22, 2009 in Sports
Hey everyone I was just over on Vitalmx.com on the forum and saw a thread about a photographer down, after reading it and seeing a pic of the guy, I realized it's our very own NW Scout. The guy that posted a link to his website last week and we all were so jealous of him. Well he's pretty bad off. Here is what was posted over there:

Hello all!

I've seen the moto community come through for many fallen riders and now I'm hoping you can come through for a rider who was injured photographing an MX race.

Last Thursday night my good friend Dave Schelske was injured while standing 30ft off-track on the infield at Portland International Raceways MX track. A rider lost control of his bike and blindsided Dave from the rear, knocking him out of one shoe. He sustained a broken pelvis, a broken right arm and lacerations from the incident. He has 2 surgeries scheduled this week and then a few weeks of in-house rehabilitation before he will be wheelchair bound for months afterward.

Dave has been a professional photographer and location scout for many years based out of West Linn, OR. He has shot numerous spreads for Honda, Yamaha as well as work within other industries. Due to the extent of his injuries he is unable to continue with work as a freelance photographer and he and his wife already have medical bills from their sons brain surgery earlier this year. This has not been a kind year for the family.

We are currently taking donations as well as organizing a raffle to offset medical costs for the family. Paypal donations are being accepted at kennycarlile@gmail.com, but my real intent for this post is to make contact within the industry of people who can get me in touch with riders and/or industry folk whom can provide us with items of value for a raffle. Signed jerseys, posters, etc.... I will compensate for the cost of the item as well as shipping if requested.

Please feel free to contact me at bvaughn76@verizon.net with any questions or concerns. Thanks for reading and take care!

-Brandon
Come see my Photos at:
http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Thanks for letting us know!
  • Options
    BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Wow... I am at a loss. I will PM you on this one.
    ...more to come!
  • Options
    2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Terrible news.
  • Options
    NorthernHorseNorthernHorse Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Its my worst fear, being hit by a rider....:cry I'm in tears reading your post. I'll spread the word, maybe some riders here in Alaska would like to donate.
    Lara Poirrier
    Fairbanks, Alaska SMUG Leader
    My Site | Fairbanks SMUG | Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    tdinardotdinardo Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Its my worst fear, being hit by a rider....:cry I'm in tears reading your post. I'll spread the word, maybe some riders here in Alaska would like to donate.

I'll be donating some stuff for the raffle.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    This is precisely why I carry a disability policy. I've had it for the last 15 years. Shooting sports can be full of risk that many folks working in the industry don't fully realize. You could be shooting a ski jumping event and have a run-away ski take you out (or a run-away photog working without crampons). You could be working a speedskaing event in the crash zone without a clue about how the pad system works and end up getting catapulted into the bleachers (I've seen it happen). Lots of folks think it'll never happen to them. I can tell you it's like riding without the proper safety gear. It's not if it's going to happen, it's when it's going to happen. If you're not insured for it, you'll really regret it. You can get a policy that fully protects you against this risk for about $75 per month. That's way cheaper than $250K (or more) in medical bills....<o:p></o:p>
  • Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Injury update

Well, still alive and kicking, with one leg at least thumb.gif

Its been almost 3 weeks and some rehab is just now getting started.
    I had 2 surgeries to repair my pelvis, witch was broken in 8 places and my right shoulder
    was broken, but no surgery, and is feeling better but will take a few more weeks till I can use it much.
    I was sent to skilled nurse care after 2 weeks in the trauma ward at the hospital. One week of easy rehab here then its off to home on Saturday clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Still a VERY long road to go but it will be good to get home.
    Wheelchair and bed rest till Nov 4th. Then the doc says I can start to try to put weight on my leg. Till then no weight at all, just lots of range of motion while in bed.

Other than a hi deductible, insurance looks like it is coming through. A new Mark3 and a 70-200 2.8 will replace the gear that was broken, and my disability should kick in in a few months.
    Over all its looking like 8 to 9 months till I get to 100%.

Thanks to all out there who have helped out with donations and time. My family and I are extremely thankful for everything.

Even though I will be out action for a while, (work to be done when I am all better) I added a Moto Portfolio to the raffle my friends are doing at the local track. The winner will get me for the day to shoot what ever they would like. Moto, sports, family, ect.
    Here is the flyer I put together for the raffle.
    644537929_ci9Qu-L.jpg

Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers.
    I will update again later as I get closer to standing and walking wings.gif

Dave
  • Options
    PinkShoesRCoolPinkShoesRCool Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    Glad to hear the update Dave! My prayers are with you for a speedy recovery! Until then, we expect photos of your view from bed! Laughing.gif Totally kidding! Good luck with everything and don't slack off in rehab, it's good for you. :ivar
  • Options
    Thanks for the update brother.
    Come see my Photos at:

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    Sounds like a long road, but all will be ok! GREAT! You have alot of people sending positive vibes your way!

Now, if you are including air fare for your photo session - I would bid! Mind you, I dont mind road trips!

Keep us updated!

PS- You realize.. Now is a great time to switch to Nikon...Just a thought!!Laughing.gif!!!
    ...more to come!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    Wow, what an ordeal. Glad to hear you're slowly improving, Dave.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Hey all.
    Got good news today!
    Doc said this morning things looked good and gave me the OK to try and start walking wings.gif
    Feels weird and I am sure looks funny as hell, but its good to be moving on.
    One month in bed, month and a half in a wheelchair and 2 weeks on crutches. Gonna be a while till I hop on a bike or even walk on uneven ground, but its a start thumb.gif

Here is the x-ray from this morning
    717238656_bce7z-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    OMG that's alot of hardware!! God I hope I don't ever get run down like you did!! Congrats on your improvement.
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Glad to hear you are starting to ambulate. I just wonder how much fun it is going to be passing through metal detectors.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited November 18, 2009
    Kinda looks like the rider left a bit of the chain with you lol3.gif

I'm glad to hear you're doing better!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    rmwphotormwphoto Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Wow nice to see your moving around with that much hardware.
    I know a guy I take pics with at my family's MX club and he
    broke his hip in two places riding a dirtbike .
    Spent most of last summer on a golfcart taking pictures.
    he's back riding and taking pictures now.
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    NwestrnrNwestrnr Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    nw scout wrote:
    Hey all.
    Got good news today!
    Doc said this morning things looked good and gave me the OK to try and start walking wings.gif
    Feels weird and I am sure looks funny as hell, but its good to be moving on.
    One month in bed, month and a half in a wheelchair and 2 weeks on crutches. Gonna be a while till I hop on a bike or even walk on uneven ground, but its a start thumb.gif

Here is the x-ray from this morning
    717238656_bce7z-L.jpg
    Glad your on the road to mending I've only had close calls and this is my worst fear what has happened here . I looked at your X-Ray man it looks as if the racer left his RK-Gold chain in ya headscratch.gif just a joke man ! Hope your getting better and make a great recovery .... Ed