40D shutter issue?

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited August 24, 2009 in Cameras
This last week, I've noticed that my shutter occasionally locks up on me. It acts like I'm too close and the lens can't focus (even when I'm not), so when I push the shutter it does absolutely nothing. It's happened with both my 70-200 f/4 L IS and the 17-55 2.8 IS. I have to keep refocusing or turn it off an on again to get it to "wake up." Meanwhile, I've missed the shot. So frustrating.
Last year, on Aug 31, I got the error 99 and sent the camera to Canon. The shutter was totally replaced. Should I send it in again, since it's been less than 1 year since the replacement? It's not happening every time I use it, but now I don't feel like I can count on it TO work. Yuck!
Any ideas?
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    I'm having problems with my 40D and know several other who has as well

Mine was sent for repair back in May, still under the year warranty, and they had to replace the shutter, I was home just shooting for fun and I snapped a shot and the shutter only halfway opened and that was it. I had read this was a common problem with the 50D as well. A friend of mine was shooting with hers and took her lens off to change, and 3 pieces fell out of it. Nothing happened to it, it wasn't banged or bumped.

Last week I was at a shoot and got the error 99 issue. I turned it off, changed the battery, tried different lenses, let it rest, it hasn't worked since. Does Canon have any kind of a guarantee on their repair work? I don't have the luxury of sending these things and having them away for weeks at a time, but a camera that's not working doesn't do me any good either. :cry

So yes, in a round about way the 40D is known to have shutter issues.

Thank god for my back up camera.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 24, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    This last week, I've noticed that my shutter occasionally locks up on me. It acts like I'm too close and the lens can't focus (even when I'm not), so when I push the shutter it does absolutely nothing. It's happened with both my 70-200 f/4 L IS and the 17-55 2.8 IS. I have to keep refocusing or turn it off an on again to get it to "wake up." Meanwhile, I've missed the shot. So frustrating.
    Last year, on Aug 31, I got the error 99 and sent the camera to Canon. The shutter was totally replaced. Should I send it in again, since it's been less than 1 year since the replacement? It's not happening every time I use it, but now I don't feel like I can count on it TO work. Yuck!
    Any ideas?

It does not necessarily sound like a shutter problem. When it happens again try twisting the lens just a bit back and forth on the mount and see if that works for you.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 24, 2009
    cdonovan wrote:
    I'm having problems with my 40D and know several other who has as well

Mine was sent for repair back in May, still under the year warranty, and they had to replace the shutter, I was home just shooting for fun and I snapped a shot and the shutter only halfway opened and that was it. I had read this was a common problem with the 50D as well. A friend of mine was shooting with hers and took her lens off to change, and 3 pieces fell out of it. Nothing happened to it, it wasn't banged or bumped.

Last week I was at a shoot and got the error 99 issue. I turned it off, changed the battery, tried different lenses, let it rest, it hasn't worked since. Does Canon have any kind of a guarantee on their repair work? I don't have the luxury of sending these things and having them away for weeks at a time, but a camera that's not working doesn't do me any good either. :cry

So yes, in a round about way the 40D is known to have shutter issues.

Thank god for my back up camera.

Error 99 is a general purpose error and could be a lot of different things.

Did you check the backup battery?

Did you take all of the batteries out, primary and backup, turn on the power for a few minutes, and then turn off the power and re-insert the batteries?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums