First Timer - Posting a sample for critique

atippatipp Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited August 24, 2009 in Landscapes
Here are several photos that consider to be some of my best work. Would appreciate some feedback.

1. Vermilion Cliffs, Arizona
524639269_RCbu3-XL.jpg

2. Bowman's Corners, Montana
509641549_ZFaBw-XL.jpg

3. Taxco, Mexico
509158258_gbcFd-XL.jpg

4.Lees Ferry Sunrise, Arizona, Panorama
507505937_rP7nq-XL.jpg

As a landscape photographer I travel light, but at my age no longer very fast. I use a Sony R1, Tripod or monopod, polarizing filter on occasion, homemade panorama tripod mount, a 4x4 vehicle, and my legs.

Link to my website: http://www.catgraphics.biz
Allen

Sony R1, Bogen Tri and Mono Pods, Epson Photo Storage device, and Kata rain gear. I travel light...

www.catgraphpics.biz

Comments

• IanJIanJ Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    I like number two and number but the the problem with number 2 is the top left corner is very blown out.

Ian
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Welcome to Dgrin! The entire series is beautiful, but I'm really taken with the last 2 images. I love the expression on the girls face and the light on the last shot. Amazing! clap.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Welcome...

I like #2 and #4. However, with #2 the upper left is somewhat blown out. And the sky is competing with the foreground grass. I'd ask what is the subject in #2. I think the upper half of the sky is somewhat featureless compared to the bottom half so perhaps a more pleasing crop may be to lose the upper 1/2 to 2/3 of the sky and concentrate on the grass. If the subject is the sky, then perhaps crop some from the bottom, but then you will need to try to bring out some detail in the upper part of the sky.

I really like #4 but my eye is quickly drawn to the bright area in the background and I don't linger on the foreground where there is a lot of nice detail. I might suggest lightening the foreground slightly and perhaps increase the clarity/contrast here to force the viewer to stop before moving on to the spectacular background.
  • DECinNCDECinNC Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Thanks for sharing. My favorite is # 4.
    Dale Childress