Please critique another b&w

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
edited June 29, 2005 in People
Hi guys.. I had added this on to my other thread dreamin so as not to start a new thread but it kinda got buried and I really would like a critique or two as I like this shot and honestly don't know where I'm at with it...Sorry bout all the baby shots but thats all I've been doing for the last few days...:D

26460401-L.jpg

Comments

• Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi guys.. I had added this on to my other thread dreamin so as not to start a new thread but it kinda got buried and I really would like a critique or two as I like this shot and honestly don't know where I'm at with it...Sorry bout all the baby shots but thats all I've been doing for the last few days...:D

26460401-L.jpg
    Adorable. you captured a moment very well ...Crisp and clear...thumb.gif
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    Lynn its a nice photo of a touching moment I just feel that you need to bring out a little detail in the older man's shirt beause on my monitor it looks like his head is just PS'd in if that makes any sense..
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    This photo is nicely composed, but it doesn't quite do it for me. Without seeing the man's eyes at all, I just don't get that sense of connection. It would have been nice if his head was tilted up a little higher or if you shot from a little lower. Seeing both sets of eyes would have really added to the connection between the two.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    I think I don't like the empty black space in the middle, Lynn. headscratch.gif The overall darkness of the shot doesn't really appeal to me, and that black space in the middle might have a lot to do with it. Also that I can't really see his face. The kid has a cute expression but isn't fully in the frame.

Sorry, darlin', I kinda like it but am a little frustrated by it.

Now wait for Shay to wade in with a brilliant critique that really explains it all!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    Hi Lynn,
    I like this shot. The expressions on both work and show me a connection. I like your tones for what areas show, nicely donethumb.gif.
    Some things that got my attention was the youngster's overalls clip hanging by his face. It took me a few to figure what it was and pulled my immediate attention away from your subjects. After looking at the subjects, I then noticed the dismembered body parts. The sharp edge of contrast looks cool, but the arm and head do appear to be disconnected. Just my opinion, but I think they need to be reconnected to their owners:D. The exposure is good. It looks like onboard flash, in which case, it's really good. Some of the shadows are harsh. Some work fine (hands) and others (gentleman's neck) need a little softening.

Thanks for sharing this nice shotclap.gif,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    Thanks everyone for these very valid critiques.. I "see" them all and agree. It's just sometimes with ones own shots you can't see the wood for the trees??
    Very helpful indeed, thanks again thumb.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 29, 2005
    I'm gonna have to go ahead and DISagree with Waxy, can you believe it!? The first thing I noticed was all the black space. I think its kind of dramatic and I really like that it adds a great deal of contrast to the shot. You've done well with the conversion, and I say I like it. It's not a typical baby shot. Go figure, I like atypical... :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm gonna have to go ahead and DISagree with Waxy, can you believe it!? The first thing I noticed was all the black space. I think its kind of dramatic and I really like that it adds a great deal of contrast to the shot. You've done well with the conversion, and I say I like it. It's not a typical baby shot. Go figure, I like atypical... :D
    cooool...mwink.gif thankyou :D
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    lynnma wrote:

I like the shot but a couple of things bother me. First I can't see the man's eyes. I think if you had shot at a lower angle and more upwards you could have captured his eyes too. May be its my hangup but I want to see the eyes. The last thing is that it seems to my tired eyes that you focused on the hands because they are very sharp and the faces are a tad softer.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"