grandma great

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited August 30, 2009 in People
My husband's Grandma has been able to visit us this week. (She is affectionately called "grandma great" by her great grandchildren.) She recently turned 89, and earlier this year, she lost Grandpa, just a few months before what would have been their 70th anniversary. It's been a special visit, and I wanted a few simple shots of her before she left. I think she's such a pretty lady. I'd love to know how these look to you. I'm wondering if the skin comes off a bit pink? These were taken in natural, evening light with the 50 1.4.

629367170_ZVhiM-L.jpg

629367599_imTgS-L.jpg

629368151_PFxqq-L.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    These are, all three, very very nice. Love the smile in #1. The hands in #2 tell such a story.

#3 - that one hit me hard. I don't know if it's because of the back story you wrote or because the portrait is that good, but I think I see a life's experience and a little pain and sadness in her expression and her eyes. Did that come out confused or what. Anyway, I think you understand? I'll just best that would come off beautiful as a B&W shot as well. Oh, and just a little critique ('cause I just can't help it), I think maybe your DOF is a little short in this one - the tip of her nose looks like it's lost most of it's skin texture detail.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Oh Elaine! I have to agree with you. She has such a sweet face and expression. I just love all of them. No wonder she is called great. I can just imagine her snuggling your little guy in a rocking chair with his "longer than they used to be" arms and legs hanging out.

As to the pink, I think they look perfect. It is normal to have patches of pink here or there, but the majority of it needs to be just as you have done, yellow over magenta.

iloveyou.gif Thanks for the glimpse into such a special lady. I get to see mine (with the exact same circumstances: grandpa gone) in 1 1/2 weeks!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    These are, all three, very very nice. Love the smile in #1. The hands in #2 tell such a story.

#3 - that one hit me hard. I don't know if it's because of the back story you wrote or because the portrait is that good, but I think I see a life's experience and a little pain and sadness in her expression and her eyes. Did that come out confused or what. Anyway, I think you understand? I'll just best that would come off beautiful as a B&W shot as well. Oh, and just a little critique ('cause I just can't help it), I think maybe your DOF is a little short in this one - the tip of her nose looks like it's lost most of it's skin texture detail.

Thank you, Scott!
    I'm so glad you see "it" in #3 as well. Her expression says so many things to me in that one; it just seemed so poignant to me.
    I need to play with a conversion a bit more on that one; I haven't landed on one I like yet.
    And yes, I see what you mean about the DOF. This was taken with the 50 at 2.8 and no cropping was done after the fact, so I was fairly close. Sometimes that happens, as we like to say at our house.
    Thanks for the comments!
    Elaine

• Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    They are beautiful portraits and I love the soft color. I know you'll be glad you took these. I would also like to see photos of her doing something - holding your kids, knitting, cooking - anything. I like the close-up of her hands but I want them to show something about her. If you sit back and wait awhile, until she forgets that you are taking photos, you could get some really good natural ones that tell us more about grandma great. She's beautiful.

Tina

www.tinamanley.com
    edited August 24, 2009
    Oh Elaine! I have to agree with you. She has such a sweet face and expression. I just love all of them. No wonder she is called great. I can just imagine her snuggling your little guy in a rocking chair with his "longer than they used to be" arms and legs hanging out.

As to the pink, I think they look perfect. It is normal to have patches of pink here or there, but the majority of it needs to be just as you have done, yellow over magenta.

iloveyou.gif Thanks for the glimpse into such a special lady. I get to see mine (with the exact same circumstances: grandpa gone) in 1 1/2 weeks!

Thank you, Heather! I'm glad the color looks good and you can see how sweet she is.
    She's the mother of NINE and her name is Pearl Ruby. How cute is that??
    I hope you have a very special visit with your grandma!
    Elaine

edited August 24, 2009
    They are beautiful portraits and I love the soft color. I know you'll be glad you took these. I would also like to see photos of her doing something - holding your kids, knitting, cooking - anything. I like the close-up of her hands but I want them to show something about her. If you sit back and wait awhile, until she forgets that you are taking photos, you could get some really good natural ones that tell us more about grandma great. She's beautiful.

Tina

www.tinamanley.com

Thank you, Tina. I do have some more candid shots of her, and I agree those would be more informative. I was after something a bit more formal for these. I will look for some more opportunities to capture her at ease. thumb.gif Thanks for commenting!
    Elaine

• pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Remarkable and sweet. I wish she was my grandma great!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Beautiful portraits, it is wonderful your kids still have their Great around. I won't play favorites with any of the three....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    So lovely. What a beautiful woman!

Caroline
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    I LOVE Grandma's.iloveyou.gif She looks like a real sweetheart and you captured her just right. The photos in all respects are lovely, especially #3. Thanks for sharing her with us :D
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    What a beautiful woman. I love these, and the backstory just has me tearing up. I'm sorry for her loss.
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    What a great set of pictures; #3 is my favourite…

…the eyes and the expression are just perfect!

Nice job!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited August 25, 2009
    Thank you, all! I appreciate all your comments!
    Elaine

• bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Aw, she looks so sweet! Very nice portraits. I'm sure the whole family will cherish them forever! iloveyou.gif
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    I think these are great portraits of Great. I wouldn't worry about any slight colour variations, it will spur emotions amongst your family for days, months and years to come. Great job. But, I'll second Tina's suggestion. It would be fantastic to capture her in action doing something she loves. Doesn't really matter what.
  • JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Great shots all of them #3 tells a story with every detail in mind.
    Nice Work.
  • GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Elaine,
    These are wonderful!
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Love her glasses. Very stylish lady.
    Growing with Dgrin

edited August 26, 2009
    Thank you for looking and commenting!
    Elaine

• FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Love the way her face wants to tell you a story!
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Well done Elaine! You've captured the essence very well. Yaaaaaa!thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
  • PhotosbyKWPhotosbyKW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    She's just beautiful!

KAW.
    Consistantly Inconsistant.

www.PhotosbyKW.smugmug.com
    edited August 30, 2009
    Shannon, Swartzy, David, KAW...thanks so much for your kind comments!
    Elaine

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Absolutely beautiful, Elaine. We had my grandmother until Diva Jr was 5 (she called her "Grand-nana" which we always thought was very sweet), which was, alas, before I turned into a committed shutterbug. We do have some shots, however (including one of her holding Littl'un at 2 weeks old. Not a great picture because I knew bugger-all about lighting, but I'm still sooooo happy to have it!)

In any case, these are beyond precious. I think the colour is right - it seems that older ladies with silver hair get that pink-ish complexion, so it looks really natural to me.

You've got me thinking about "Grandnana" now, which is a wonderful thing iloveyou.gif