Options

On theme for #32

fotomomfotomom Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited August 29, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'd be interested to know if you think a photo like this would be relevant to the theme for #32 Different Perspective. I take these unusual abstract glass shots frequently. This one was taken after 8AM today and is technically valid for #32. I feel like my tie in to the theme has not been as strong as it could have been for the last two challenges I entered, so I'd like to work on that this go around.
Thanks,
Maryann (fotomom)

Comments

• Options
    CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Cool idea! I think it's on the right track for meeting the theme, but I think you need a subject on the other side of the abstract glass. In other words, choose a subject and use the through-the-glass as your different perspective.

This shot, while pretty, lacks an obvious subject on the other side. Plenty of time left, though! I'm interested in seeing what you come up with :D
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Hi Maryann,

Very cool idea, indeed :D

Although Cory is right about a focal point, I guess the glass is too thick for
    something to be seen through... it would be great if you could...

As it is, I would fade down the - almost too - bright white on the upper right
    which pulls my eyes outside the image and I would try to give it some more depth,
    maybe by adding a vignette to it...

I know you are so good on this kind of images :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    CoryUT wrote:
    Cool idea! I think it's on the right track for meeting the theme, but I think you need a subject on the other side of the abstract glass.

Hey Maryann,
    I kinda of like Cory's idea of including a subject somehow. Like Tatiana said, that glass appears to be fairly thick so in my not work. How about somehow including the subject near or around the glass, with the glass obviously in the foreground but a subject somehow peaking around from behind.

Could you do a SP of yourself as you are making the glass... stuff like that? I don't know, but the idea of somehow including a subject could have some real promise. I really like how much color and life your glass brings to your work.

Hope you are doing well.
    Jeff
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2009
    Thank you and new idea
    Thanks for reviewing my photo and for the suggestions so far. I really appreciate it. I see where Cory was going. My glass shots are more abstract than different perspective. I did shoot a daisy through a piece of glass a while back. I got a nicely distorted daisy. Then I did some pp, and it became painting like. I'll think about real flowers through glass again. Still plenty to choose from this time of year.

I had a new idea last night. Let me know if this picture strikes you any better. It was taken spur of the moment. It might be worth a retake to get a different background and no flash, but then sometimes candid is better too.

Thanks again,
    Maryann
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 29, 2009
    I like your second shot there with the child. I agree a different background might be better and maybe try and keep it in color??
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Interesting idea on your second shot Maryann :)

I agree on a different background and maybe with keeping it colored
    and you can also can play more with the crop and may be the angle,
    to give a more interesting perspective...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback:-) I am going to try to get real creative with that bowl and see if I can come up with a picture that really pops perspective wise.

If you don't mind, I'd love your thoughts on this candle shot too. This is about the best I can do after 300 shots, so it's kindof got to be good enough the way it is or not. None of the candles pictured is the real candle. You are seeing multiple reflections of the candle. I liked the high front to low back line as well as the curved line.

Thanks again...
    I don't mean to be wearing you guys out asking for feedback.
    Maryann
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Hi MaryAnn, so glad you decided to post.

As for the candle image I don't understand how it fits the theme although it's a nice shot.

I have seen your work and know you'll come up with something.

peace, g

Duh, I'm sorry, I do see it now. It is a nice image. Is there anyway to tone down the flare of the flame.