First time to post in "Landscapes"

imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
edited August 25, 2009 in Landscapes
Well, I haven't posted much of my work in Dgrin because I feel so unworthy next to so many amazing photographers... Maybe unworthy is the wrong verbiage... Intimidated is more appropriate!

Anyway, we went on vacation last week and here are a few my first attempts ever at landscapes. I'm very eager to hear your comments/critiques/suggestions! I'm a sponge ready to absorb any and everything you have to offer! So, without further ado:

#1--This was taken while I was riding a horse that wouldn't stop---yes, I was moving! It was on the side of "Blow Out Mountain" in Hot Springs, Arkansas and I thought the reflective properties turned out okay...
629404426_8hyff-M.jpg

#2--We went to Bedford's Camera Shop in Little Rock and while my husband was using their facilities he saw a photo. He came out and asked the clerk where it was taken and she said it was taken at the Petit Jean State Park "about 30 miles away". So, off we go. Turned out to be more like 70 miles one way, but who cares! Then we started on our 2 mile trek down the mountain (yes, we had to come back up that same mountain)!!! Here is "Cedar Falls":
629403811_C8zD2-M.jpg

#3--This is on the way back down the mountain:
629403661_BsWyh-M.jpg

#4--This is my meager attempt at capturing the "beauty of the road"!!
629401448_hL9oQ-M.jpg

#5--Finally, this was at a place called "The Old Mill" in Little Rock. It was a beautiful little park.
629402329_yJSct-M.jpg
Blessings,
Marjohn

Images of Him Photography

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Enjoyed your images -- looks like you had a wonderful vacation :D

#4 is my favorite thumb.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    welcome to dgrin and it will get easier to post the more you do it. Just remember we were all in your position at one time.

One thing that stands out is these shots were all taken in midday light which is very tough to get good pictures with.

The first shot looks like a very nice location and considering you took the shot from a moving horse it is not too bad. Personally I would look to convert that shot to a black and white image to see how that changes the dynamics of it.

#4 is by far the best shot in this series and it is a good shot that you should be happy with. Colors are good and the composition is good.

Return to #5 in a few months when the colors change and be there at sunrise or sunset, with a tripod, and a little more knowledge. This is a great shooting location.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    I'm glad you're posting image, as these are very nice! thumb.gif It looks like you already have a great eye for composition. Now you just have to wait for the right light and get some technical aspects down, which will totally come with time. If you want to shoot waterfalls in the mid-day, you may want to invest in some neutral density filters, if you want that silky appearance to the water. Also, I hope you have a tripod...difficult to take great shot (low light, bracketing, composition) without one. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Thank you all for the great advice!!! I know I have a ton to learn about working with existing light---especially when you can't do diddly about the sun!!

Thapamd---do you have any "favorites" on the neutral density filters I should purchase?

anwmn1---I will try to get this converted tonight or tomorrow & re-post for your thoughts... Thanks for the suggestion! As for returning... it might be while---8 hour drives aren't something I try to do often!!!! :D

Dogdots---thank you! We had a GREAT time!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography