Galaxy Falls

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited August 26, 2009 in Landscapes
I went to Palouse Falls on Saturday night for sunset, and the sunset was great. Unfortunately it was great 120 degrees from the direction of the falls. So to overcome the boring sky I left my tripod alone and waited a few hours and shot the stars and blended them together with a previous exposure of the falls at sunset.

Here's the result (the "haze" in the middle is the milky way).

629508881_oVqNN-L.jpg

I'm not sure it works or not, but I am sure my Photoshop skills suck when I have to make a selection on anything that's not a rectangle :lol3

Update: Here's a tamer version with a still shot of the stars:

629636650_w4usu-L.jpg

Hybrid:

629656442_m5bQU-L.jpg

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    I don't think this works as a photograph per se but this is a pretty unique image to look at. To me it comes across as more surreal or like a digitally manufactured landscape one might create for a video game or computer generated movie. It is quite intriguing actually. thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    I think that is a great capture of the landscape and the falls. I do not like the sky as much. I think I would have liked a night sky of the stars without the star trails better.

Thanks for sharing.
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    I agree that the sky would be better without the star trails, but beautiful image overall. The waterfall and canyon are both very pleasing to look at. This makes me want to go.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I don't think this works as a photograph per se but this is a pretty unique image to look at. To me it comes across as more surreal or like a digitally manufactured landscape one might create for a video game or computer generated movie. It is quite intriguing actually. thumb.gif

Thanks, I was going for sort of a surreal effect, I agree it's not really a photograph at this point, but the sky was so @#$!@$!$@ boring that I felt I had no choice but to wildly compensate. Like I said I'm not sure it works, but it's better than the crap sky I had at sunset. Or at least different :D
    edited August 25, 2009
    rainbow/CoryUT: Thanks for the feedback! I posted a non-acid-trip version with a still shot of the stars :D
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    rainbow/CoryUT: Thanks for the feedback! I posted a non-acid-trip version with a still shot of the stars :D

Can you darken the sky of the second one and then combine it with the landscape of the first? I think that would make for a killer photo.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    Can you darken the sky of the second one and then combine it with the landscape of the first? I think that would make for a killer photo.

Agree with this request. Darken that sky close to what you have in the first and it should be pretty sweet.deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited August 25, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Agree with this request. Darken that sky close to what you have in the first and it should be pretty sweet.deal.gif

I tried. Lots of noise when I darken the sky though. I guess it's OK, I don't even print my good photos so I don't have to worry about the noise on this one :D
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    I like the hybrid version the best. I feel the pool may be a little dark here compared to the canyon to the right.

In the sky is that the Milky Way or just clouds?
    edited August 25, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    I like the hybrid version the best. I feel the pool may be a little dark here compared to the canyon to the right.

In the sky is that the Milky Way or just clouds?

Hmm, the Photoshop version of the file has enough detail but the converted JPG doesn't. That is the Milky Way, if there were actually clouds in that direction I wouldn't have had to resort to this nonsense :D
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 25, 2009
    I like it with the sky from #3, and the earth of #2. deal.gif

629917522_dmDi8-L.jpg
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Great idea to try saving the shot from a bland sunset, Ron! thumb.gif

I'm torn between #1 and the hybrid version and can't make up my mind as to which is my favorite. Nice work! clap.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    I don't Ron, I guess I am a bit unconventional when it come to photography. I like things that others don't and the other way around also. I guess that I have not been schooled enough yet:). I am not knocking anybodies elses opinions.
    I like all 3 of the photos. IMHO, they all have their own qualities and I think they look pretty cool. Nice to see you made it out to PF again.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Great post Ronthumb.gifthumb

Really like the 3rd one, because it is darker and matches more what we might actually see. Fun stuff:D
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    They all look good to me, Ron! It seem like you can do no wrong, in my eyes. Original, creative, and totally fun! clap.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • PhotozzPhotozz Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    I also like the sky in #2 with the land in #3 makes for a very cool photo!
  • astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    I like the first one, and you said you merged a bunch of long (30sec?) exposures to get it? Do you have a bulb setting on the camera, and a release? If so, do a single shot. Also, I think the first shot would be much stronger of a composition if it were vertical. You could have your interesting foreground in the falls, and then a great backdrop, and see more of it.
    Things to think about.

-Andy
    edited August 25, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    I like it with the sky from #3, and the earth of #2. deal.gif

629917522_dmDi8-L.jpg

Yeah, I kind of like this version too. Do you have a full size version so I can upload it to my gallery? :D But man there's a lot of noise (not just in yours but in mine). I guess I shouldn't care.
    edited August 25, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Great idea to try saving the shot from a bland sunset, Ron! thumb.gif

I'm torn between #1 and the hybrid version and can't make up my mind as to which is my favorite. Nice work! clap.gif

Thanks Chris, the sunset was indeed bland, and I had nothing else to do (and it's a 4 hour drive, so I don't want to come away with nothing). It's a little freaky standing on the edge of a 200 ft canyon at night with rattlesnakes on the other side! (Didn't see any this time though).
    edited August 25, 2009
    ront wrote:
    I don't Ron, I guess I am a bit unconventional when it come to photography. I like things that others don't and the other way around also. I guess that I have not been schooled enough yet:). I am not knocking anybodies elses opinions.
    I like all 3 of the photos. IMHO, they all have their own qualities and I think they look pretty cool. Nice to see you made it out to PF again.

Ron

Thanks Ron, as Mark Twain said, I never let my schooling interfere with my education :D I think I could still play with this shot a bit more and get something even better, I'll come back to it with a fresher perspective in a few weeks.
    edited August 25, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    They all look good to me, Ron! It seem like you can do no wrong, in my eyes. Original, creative, and totally fun! clap.gif

Thanks Mahesh! I love Palouse Falls, but I've only gotten good light there once (at sunset and sunrise):

555135136_kPfzQ-L.jpg
    edited August 25, 2009
    Great post Ronthumb.gifthumb

Really like the 3rd one, because it is darker and matches more what we might actually see. Fun stuff:D

Thanks Marc, I was just playing around, it does give me some ideas for when I'm in the Southwest in a few weeks (I'd be curious to see Horseshoe Bend like this for example).
    edited August 25, 2009
    astockwell wrote:
    I like the first one, and you said you merged a bunch of long (30sec?) exposures to get it? Do you have a bulb setting on the camera, and a release? If so, do a single shot. Also, I think the first shot would be much stronger of a composition if it were vertical. You could have your interesting foreground in the falls, and then a great backdrop, and see more of it.
    Things to think about.

-Andy

Thanks for the feedback Andy. The first shot was about 5-6 5 minute exposures. I've found that any exposures longer than that introduce way too much noise (I haven't tried them with long exposure noise reduction though). Blending multiple exposures reduces the noise as the noise is pretty much randomly distributed. I agree that a vertical composition would work - but IMO - not from this perspective, but from (or nearer to) the base of the falls. I really like the canyon and flow on the right from this vantage point.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    I think this is really cool! You're making me want to try this out. I kind of like how the canyon leads your eye toward the Milky Way (in the second and third photos).

By the way, your skies were boring because I didn't come along.