How much is a used XSI worth?

startingjourneystartingjourney Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited August 26, 2009 in Cameras
How much is a slightly used(1 month) xsi camera worth if you still have all the packaging? I don't know how to check for clicks. I only used it on a vacation and that's it. So the xsi body only with no lens. I think it's about 2,500 shutter clicks but that may be wrong. I used a non formatted card.

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    How much is a slightly used(1 month) xsi camera worth if you still have all the packaging? I don't know how to check for clicks. I only used it on a vacation and that's it. So the xsi body only with no lens. I think it's about 2,500 shutter clicks but that may be wrong. I used a non formatted card.

I'd check EBAY's completed auction listings
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 25, 2009
    KEH has a used XSi in EX+ condition for $569USD. Private sales are usually somewhat less for the same condition.

Refurbished units are selling "new" for $570 at Adorama and refurbished sell for $470, also at Adorama.

A good rule of thumb is that cameras usually lose around 20 percent of their value when they are "used", and then the value decreases further according to age and actual usage/wear. From that formula, your camera would be worth around $456 on the "used" market (80 percent of new.)

It should be obvious there is no single answer to the question, but these are some guidelines.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    KEH has a used XSi in EX+ condition for $569USD. Private sales are usually somewhat less for the same condition.

Refurbished units are selling "new" for $570 at Adorama and refurbished sell for $470, also at Adorama.

A good rule of thumb is that cameras usually lose around 20 percent of their value when they are "used", and then the value decreases further according to age and actual usage/wear. From that formula, your camera would be worth around $456 on the "used" market (80 percent of new.)

It should be obvious there is no single answer to the question, but these are some guidelines.

My friend just bought one on Saturday on sale on JR's web site. It was $525 with lens.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 26, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    My friend just bought one on Saturday on sale on JR's web site. It was $525 with lens.

That's a very good price. I see they are at $575 today, w/o lens.

http://www.jr.com/canon/pe/CAN_REBELXSIB/

... and $640 with lens.

http://www.jr.com/canon/pe/CAN_REBELXSIBKT/

Now the weird thing, Google's cache for Saturday of one of J&R's pages, showed the XSi kit for $599 (also a very good price), so I wonder if your friend had a coupon as well? Anyway, they got a heck of a deal. clap.gif

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:JUllUxneX-AJ:www.jr.com/category/computers/accessories-and-supplies/carrying-cases/+site:www.jr.com++"www.jr.com"++xsi++sale&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://tiny.cc/z3CoF
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • L_F_LL_F_L Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    If I were getting one (body only), I'd look at those at the $400 - $425 range. With kit lens, it would be in the $500 - $525. This assumes like new condition.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Wow - I guess I did good last November then, since I got mine (new, body only) from BH for $569 :D