Long Forgotten

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited August 27, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I have no idea who Mr. Carson was.
At the bottom of his headstone, it says "US Army"

Even though we never met, you stood tall to protect me.

Thank you Sir...
Randy

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    I like that photograph. It does make me wonder about him; his family and his times. Was this all alone?
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Like your verbage around this one. It's a shame that the "US Army" part isn't visible, that would make this 100x more impactful (if that's a word).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    I like that photograph. It does make me wonder about him; his family and his times. Was this all alone?

Hey Eia,

There were a few scattered graves in this cemetery. It's actually the cemetery that was next to the closed church that I posted a day or so ago.

Just makes me wonder as I casually stroll by a grave. The headstone is the sign that essentially says "I was here ~ I had a life" . So many stories, so many memories, all hidden away from us under that dirt.

So, better make the best of it while we're still kickin'...
    Randy
    edited August 25, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Like your verbage around this one. It's a shame that the "US Army" part isn't visible, that would make this 100x more impactful (if that's a word).

Hey Andrew,

I wanted to show the "US Army" part, but the dirt/grass was covering about half of it (down in the ground) & I couldn't get a good composition when trying to show it.

As far as "impactful", kind of gave me a lump in my throat just thinking about what (unknown to me) soldiers do for me.

Thanks for looking and commenting.
    Randy
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Nice one Randy.
    I love to walk through old cemetaries, read the inscriptions on the graves (some more than 200 years old in these parts), and wonder about the lives these people lived. Around memorial day the SAR (Son's of the American Revolution) and the GAR (Grand Army of the Republic), place the Stars and Stripes on these early veteran's graves. The sight always brings a lump to my throat. I have a gallery of cemeteries here with lots more images I haven't yet gotten around to working up.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited August 25, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Nice one Randy.
    I love to walk through old cemeteries, read the inscriptions on the graves (some more than 200 years old in these parts), and wonder about the lives these people lived. Around memorial day the SAR (Son's of the American Revolution) and the GAR (Grand Army of the Republic), place the Stars and Stripes on these early veteran's graves. The sight always brings a lump to my throat. I have a gallery of cemeteries here with lots more images I haven't yet gotten around to working up.

Hey Jack,

Thanks for posting a link to those galleries. You fellas have some really old cemeteries up there. We have some old ones too, but there not kept up as well (the old ones I've seen), nor marked as nicely as those in your galleries.

Fascination with graveyards is a bit strange to me (and I'm talking about my fascination here), some would say a bit morbid. Guess it shouldn't be this way, but only the old cemeteries seem to draw my attention.

Anyway, thanks again for the link and your comments.
    Randy
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    (RESPECT) How does it make me feel? Wanting to see more of the graveyard.
    Growing with Dgrin

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    I was always one that stayed out of cemeteries other then when I was in HS, but that is another story. My son likes to visit old cemeteries and now I'm hooked.

It makes the mind wonder about the lives of those we are visiting as we walk through and say a prayer......
    edited August 27, 2009
    leaforte wrote:
    (RESPECT) How does it make me feel? Wanting to see more of the graveyard.

Thanks,

I wanted to see more too, but my chigger alert was going off rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited August 27, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I was always one that stayed out of cemeteries other then when I was in HS, but that is another story. My son likes to visit old cemeteries and now I'm hooked.

It makes the mind wonder about the lives of those we are visiting as we walk through and say a prayer......

I don't mind walking through them, it's permanently laying in one that gives me pause :D
    Randy
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    I don't mind walking through them, it's permanently laying in one that gives me pause :D

I was taught never to walk on a grave, but around them. Now when I go into an old cemetery...well you just never know where to step headscratch.gif I try to be so careful.

I understand the "permanently laying in one" that does give one pause :D