Manure Spreader

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited August 27, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Another one from the Connecticut Antique Machinery Museum.

626990981_MGKvj-XL.jpg

629883269_Yq9Dc-XL.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    For a machine, that still looks like high demand from the physical labor side. Looks like someone had to stand back there and dump/spread the manure into the blades/dirt while the unit is being pulled along, horses/mules driven by another person.

Thanks for a look into some history.
    Randy
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Hi Jack,

I don't think I've ever seen a piece of equipment like this. But you know me, I like anything colorful and your picture of this spreader is certainly that. Good shot all the way around.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    For a machine, that still looks like high demand from the physical labor side. Looks like someone had to stand back there and dump/spread the manure into the blades/dirt while the unit is being pulled along, horses/mules driven by another person.

Thanks for a look into some history.

Do you see the chains (blue) that run into the back? I'm going to guess that the milk jugs have been added as this was a dual usage wagon, dump the cow dung all over the field, then haul the milk to the market, cow dung bouncing into the milk. Mmmm.

You can also see that there are slats attached to the chains that move the dung to the back like a conveyor belt and the blades turn into the dung, throwing it up and back. Of course, sometimes they throw it back at the driver.

Note the rear wheels have tread on them. The rear wheels drive the conveyer chain system and the blades. The two levers are probably the wagon brake and the other engages the conveyor system. You can find similar wagons designed to be pulled by small tractors if you look for them.

Now, how about a nice big glass of milk?
  • gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Looks spankin' clean for a manure spreader.

(I'm sure you have the only shot on earth titled "Manure Spreader". That in itself deserves an award.)