a kiss C&C please

NicolasNicolas Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited August 27, 2009 in People
I took this shot of a friend's family and wanted to print it out and give it to them as a gift. I want it to look as good as possible and was looking for some editing advice.

Back lighting, colors, anything that you all can think of.

Thanks

test.jpg

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    What a sweet shot. The family will love it!!

On my monitor, it looks like there is a yellow-greenish cast to the photograph that shows up especially on the skin (except for the baby's right arm and tops of her legs). It is particularly noticeable on the edges of the little boy's hair. If this is the result of some version of the Orton effect, a little yellow desat might do the trick. In fact, whatever the processing, that may be all it needs.

I'm wondering if this might not be one of those photos that looks best as a black and white. Have you tried it? I think the only problem there might be that the blown out skin on the mother would be more distracting.

Cropping to focus on the kiss is another option, but I like the way you have framed it. If anything it is just a tad too tight for my taste.

All that said, the family will treasure it.

Va

Email
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    I love the backlighting here! This is a very sweet capture.

I'm a little torn about the crop, though I think I would leave it as is.

If you leave this in color, I would follow Gina's advice to nix the green/yellow cast that is apparent on my monitor. Otherwise, I'd be very interested to see a nice B/W conversion. mwink.gif

And I agree, the family will LOVE this.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    This is a great shot but I think it needs cropped some. Mom bothers me as well as the bright window top left. Too much going on. Hope you don't mind my versions.

630349135_TUNNu-XL.jpg

630348516_oYbt4-XL.jpg
  • NicolasNicolas Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Thanks for all of your advice on the shot. I currently have about 15 different versions saved and have a hard time deciding on which one to go with. I did try cropping it and going B/W but I still think I like color the best. The lighting was hard to work with and when I desaturate or change the color balance it always seems like I am trading away one problem for another. I like the crop that hackbone did, thank you for taking the time to do that.

I am working on it off and on and will keep listening to the advice here in hopes of getting something that I really like.

Thanks again
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    On my monitor, it looks like there is a yellow-greenish cast to the photograph that shows up especially on the skin (except for the baby's right arm and tops of her legs). It is particularly noticeable on the edges of the little boy's hair. If this is the result of some version of the Orton effect, a little yellow desat might do the trick. In fact, whatever the processing, that may be all it needs.

+1. Once you adjust the color balance to remove the cast, this image is very powerful and well composed.
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Sweet capture.

I do agree with Virgina on maybe a crop to bring the attention to the "kiss".
    A tender moment to be remembered.

Peace, g