Virgina's Workshop Project

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited August 25, 2009 in People
So for the fourth day of the Day In Our Life workshop, the students had to spend the day doing a mini-documentary project. Virginia decided to spend the day documenting the working of Tatte's, a high-end bakery and coffee shop in Brookline, MA, whose baked goods are sold in one of the fanciest NYC specialty food stores. She began her shooting at 6 a.m., and slaved away all day.

In addition to putting together a photo story with 20 photos, she wrote a terrific text - and here it is
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Making me feel hungry…

…nice job!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    In addition to putting together a photo story with 20 photos, she wrote a terrific text - and here it is

Wonderful!! I'm so glad to see this story. The photos are perfect. The only very slight criticism I would have would be that I would like to see more close-up faces to go with the hands. That's a very slight nit-pick, though. I love it!!

Tina

www.tinamanley.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Brava Virginia! Now, where are the goodies??!! ::drools in most unladylike fashion:: :D
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Wonderful!! I'm so glad to see this story. The photos are perfect. The only very slight criticism I would have would be that I would like to see more close-up faces to go with the hands. That's a very slight nit-pick, though. I love it!!

Tina

www.tinamanley.com

A totally valid criticism, Tina, but the reality was that she was given the access only if she'd agree that she wouldn't show faces. ne_nau.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    A totally valid criticism, Tina, but the reality was that she was given the access only if she'd agree that she wouldn't show faces. ne_nau.gif

Ooohh! Ouch! Well, I'm even more impressed with the great job that she did given that impossibly hard restriction thumb.gif

Tina

www.tinamanley.com
  • whiteaglewhiteagle Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    I guess we all have to do our part in protecting the identity of mastermind bakers.

Great job on most of it, given the face thing. Not really digging the shot of the Hobart, but other than that I liked them.
    My website: Fresh Edge Photo
    My latest project: Worship Backgrounds
    My twitter habit: Daniel Roberts
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Thank you B.D. and thanks all of you for your comments. They are very appreciated.

Tina, I too would like more closeups.

Fortunately, I got a no-faces rule reprieve part way through the shoot and only had to avoid showing one person. (Don't ask!) Nevertheless, looking back I realize that even with the repreive, I did shy away from concentrating on the individuals more than I would have liked. They were eager to be photographed, btw. Alas, there were other considerations.

I think to really do this right, more than one visit would have been in order. That would have allowed all involved to be more relaxed about the process and undoubtedly leading to removal of restrictions.

Picking only 20 pictures to tell the story was very difficult. Among other things, I had to eliminate some of the pictures I like best (artsy ones of the Hobart!! - but also some tighter pictures of the bakers).

Excellent exercise in all sorts of levels, though.

I shall post a review of B.D.'s class later today.

Again thanks for the comments! iloveyou.gif

Va

Email
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Whiteagle, I loovvvvve the Hobart!! But I take your point. Thanks for commenting.

Va

Email