Children walking away

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited August 25, 2009 in People
Inspired by the walking away images in the other thread. With all of the B&W work here, I'm finally starting to see where lack of color helps certain images immensely. I think this is one of those cases.

630077601_DcwMT-L.jpg
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• whiteaglewhiteagle Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Very true about the color. Good capture. It wouldn't look nearly as good with color.

On this type of shot I find that if there's not a naturally occurring framing such as a tunnel or dark trees or what not, that a bit of vignette can go a long way.
    My website: Fresh Edge Photo
    My latest project: Worship Backgrounds
    My twitter habit: Daniel Roberts
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Inspired by the walking away images in the other thread. With all of the B&W work here, I'm finally starting to see where lack of color helps certain images immensely. I think this is one of those cases.

[UR

Very nice shot. Typical of childhood.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Very nice image, i wonder what they are talking about :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Thanks, both of you. The wider image w/ the trees looked like:

20090524-1-Edit-3.jpg

reduced resolution and jpg quality to meet the 140kb limit.... The original was actually slightly vignetted (same as this one).
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • chrisunderwoodimageschrisunderwoodimages Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Personally, I like the second better. The dark in the trees offers a nice framing for your subjects.
    Olympus E-520, E-3
    Zuiko Digital:14-42 f3.5-5.6 / 40-150 f4-5.6 / 70-300 f4-5.6 / 50 f2 / 14-54 f2.8-3.5 / 50-200 f2.8-3.5
    OMZ: 28 f3.5 / 50 f1.4 / 135 f3.5

Just For Fun: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_photo_gallery
    Personal: http://cunderwood.smugmug.com/
    Commercial: http://www.chrisunderwoodimages.com
  • gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    I very much like them, and I think the wider view helps to increase the feel of it. B&W is very nice for these; nice ones! We all could develop quite a "walking away" collection!
    edited August 25, 2009
    Very nice image, i wonder what they are talking about :D

Thank you. There was a lot of rumbling from a thunderstorm approaching, and we were near the bottom of the valley. They were probably talking about if her crazy dad was going to get them both killed. :D That, or figuring whose house they were going to stump for a sleepover at.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 25, 2009
    gvf wrote:
    I very much like them, and I think the wider view helps to increase the feel of it. B&W is very nice for these; nice ones! We all could develop quite a "walking away" collection!

Thanks. It was your pic that got me on the right track with this one. It was sort of just wallowing as a color pic with a heavy vignette that I loved the idea of and hated the execution of.clap.gif
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Wide, wide!! I much prefer the wide to the crop, as it gives me a sense of where they are walking from. And again, it's the body language, bouncing arm that gives this image a playful feeling.

I like your b/w conversion. The only thing, IMO, that might have improved this image would have been to use a larger aperature, as I tend to like just a little softness in the BG, but that's a matter of preference.

Nicely captured Andrew.. thumb.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited August 25, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    I like your b/w conversion. The only thing, IMO, that might have improved this image would have been to use a larger aperature, as I tend to like just a little softness in the BG, but that's a matter of preference.

Nicely captured Andrew.. thumb.gif

Thanks. LR with a little tweak. The shot was 70mm f/2.8 but I was pretty far behind them, so the DOF is pretty wide. Alas, no f/1.2 glass on hand...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    The first version left me a little flat, but I really like the second. The framing by the trees makes the difference for me. Also good job on the conversion. Once you go B&W, it's hard to resist in the future. You'll even start composing for it.

I'll add my "walking away" shot in a second