Lookin' for Refinement

RoxyStarRoxyStar Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited August 28, 2009 in People
At the encourgement of another, I have posted this picture for your feedback. I took it of my grandson. I know the hand and foot are blurry, so I just saved you from stating the obvious =o) . Normally, I subscribe to the "If you can't say something nice, at least have the decency to be vague" philosophy . In this case, please don't be vague. I'm interested in constructive feedback. Thanks.

3853070597_37f37e16a3_b.jpg

Comments

• whiteaglewhiteagle Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Good shot other than the obvious. Thanks for stating that so I don't have to. The highlights are too hot. Bring it down and bring back some of that cuddly baby texture to his skin. Other than that, it's hard to hate on a baby picture.
    My website: Fresh Edge Photo
    My latest project: Worship Backgrounds
    My twitter habit: Daniel Roberts
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Roxy, when evaluating your prints turn them upside down and maybe squint just a little. When you do that things jump out at your eye that are wrong. Legs and feet are a little hot and the print is really a tad out of focus. With those items corrected you have the potential for a really great print.
  • RoxyStarRoxyStar Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 25, 2009
    Hackbone - that is a very good tip. Whiteagle - thanks for the feeback. It is a bit blown out.
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    #1 Cute baby!
    #2 Skin is hot especially on the face as was said before
    #3 Focus is soft. Maybe a bit of unsharp mask could help?
    #4 Hand and foot have movement out of focus...up your shutter to avoid that. As you know babies are always moving! Ishoot F8 and 1/200 on babies in the studio.
    #5 Specular highlights are not even
    #6 Could use a little light on the hair to separate it from the dark background

And just a personal preference... Unless done precisely I think babies are really hard to photograph on black. There are so many elements that need to be met to make the perfect picture that sometimes it is just easier to put them on a colored blanket and a white background.... I will occasionally shoot on dark brown but position the lights just right before doing so.
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • RoxyStarRoxyStar Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 28, 2009
    Wingsoflove.... thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your insights. This was first time to shoot a baby on a black background. It was done at the request of the mother. I admit I like the contrast.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    RoxyStar wrote:
    At the encourgement of another, I have posted this picture for your feedback. I took it of my grandson. I know the hand and foot are blurry, so I just saved you from stating the obvious =o) . Normally, I subscribe to the "If you can't say something nice, at least have the decency to be vague" philosophy . In this case, please don't be vague. I'm interested in constructive feedback. Thanks.

htt

The obvious is that the "blurry" hand and foot are part of what is really special about this image. rolleyes1.gif That bit of motion tell us that your subject was very much 'alive and kicking,' and not something you should be apologizing for in any way. This is a terrific baby photo.clap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed