nikon warranty

bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited August 28, 2009 in Cameras
I purchased a new Niko D700 and noticed there was no warranty reg card in the box. The dealer told me that you don't need to regester bodies any longer, that as long as you had the sales receipt it was automatically warranted for one year. Anyone have any info on this?

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    can you register on line, rather than thru the mail??????
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    I have not tried yet but I will. I am just wondering if the is a gray market issue here. Selling cameras without warranty. This is a very reputable dealer and I usually trust them. The box says it should contain a warranty card. I will try online tomorrow.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    I agree with Art. I know Olympus has you register online now. You just enter the serial number and the location it was purchased and the purchase date. I imagine its similar with Nikon.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 25, 2009
    Here is the Nikon registration page for the US market:

http://support.nikontech.com/app/product_registration

I do suggest you contact Nikon directly, to see what was supposed to be in the box, before you register.

http://www.nikonusa.com/About-Nikon/Contact-Us.page
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    I know when I sent my D300 in for warranty work I had a copy of the sales receipt sent with it through my dealer. I believe I registered it online after I bought it.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • foto41foto41 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Nikon Warranty Card
    I went though the same thing when I bought my D700 from B&H last year. Nikon has stopped putting in warranty cards. They told me it was a cost cutting effort. If you have an issue your receipt is now your warranty.
    Barry Nichols
  • bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    foto41, that's the same thing I was told, but I did register online anyway. Can't hurt.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 28, 2009
    foto41 wrote:
    If you have an issue your receipt is now your warranty.

Actually that's always been the case. US Federal law prohibits manufacturers from requiring users to complete registration cards to honor warranties.

I've never sent in a registration card on anything. They're just marketing surveys as near as I can tell.