What technique was used to create this image

jungjung Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited August 27, 2009 in Technique
Hello, there is a local photographer in town and he creates amazing images and I wanted to know if anyone knows the process used to create such amazing imagry. I think he is taking a series of shots but it is not HDR.

I am stumped, so hopefully someone can shed some light.

THanks,

J.
"let your eyes do the talking"

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 25, 2009
    What do you feel is amazing about this shot? headscratch.gif
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Looks like he's waiting for the right time of day.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Looks like he's waiting for the right time of day.
    +1 15524779-Ti.gifdeal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Just looks like a wide-angled shot to me, sharpened like a knife and saturated. It's nice and all, but beyond that.......

(it also has so much detail in all the buildings that it loses focus back there for me. The Eye is a sphere, light hits in degrees of sharpness - like a camera lens. However, this seems a contemporary style-thing, razor sharp all over the place, so....who am I)
  • whiteaglewhiteagle Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    +1 to the time of day comments. I also wouldn't be surprised if he was saturating in LAB color space.

It's not mine, but I see why you like his style. However, the composition of this shot is nothing to write home about.
    My website: Fresh Edge Photo
    My latest project: Worship Backgrounds
    My twitter habit: Daniel Roberts
  • shmingshming Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    might be an HD image
    Seems to be an HD image (3 different exposures combined into one) I could be wrong but if you look at the photograph everything is perfectly exposed - hence why I think it is an HD Image
    KLinh
    Klinh Evelyn Grace Photography
    Fashion & Commercial
    (2)Mamiya RZ67 IID, Mamiya 645 AFD II, Leaf Aptus 65, Profoto D1's, Capture One.
    http://www.klinhevelyngracephotography.com
    edited August 26, 2009
    shming wrote:
    Seems to be an HD image (3 different exposures combined into one) I could be wrong but if you look at the photograph everything is perfectly exposed - hence why I think it is an HD Image
    Just a perfect time of evening... Called "golden hour". Happens almost everyday, twice at that. You just gotta be patient and very quick, cause that "hour" typically lasts only a few minutes... mwink.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    In addition to time of day, it appears to me that photog is using a medium to small aperture (see the beginings of the Muench stars from some of the street lights and a relatively slow shutter speed (goes hand in hand with the smaller aperture). I'm 95% (maybe more) certain he/she used a tripod as well.

In post, a bit of saturation work, a little fill slider, maybe some shadow/highlight stuff, some sharpening.
  • jungjung Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    shming wrote:

Is there a technical name for this process or is it just HD imaging?

I think that is what he is doing, I just not sure if he is doing a photomerge or clipping. Not to discredit the fact that he was there at the "Golden Hour" but it is a little more post processing that I am curious about.

thanks for you input.

J.
    edited August 27, 2009
    jung wrote:
    Is there a technical name for this process or is it just HD imaging?

I think that is what he is doing, I just not sure if he is doing a photomerge or clipping. Not to discredit the fact that he was there at the "Golden Hour" but it is a little more post processing that I am curious about.

thanks for you input.

J.

It's called HDR (High Dynamic Range), but while it is possible, this image does neither show any obvious tell-tell signs of the HDR processing, nor the actual need for it: this time of day you get a very even exposure "for free", hence no need for complications.
  • jungjung Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    It's called HDR (High Dynamic Range), but while it is possible, this image does neither show any obvious tell-tell signs of the HDR processing, nor the actual need for it: this time of day you get a very even exposure "for free", hence no need for complications.

thanks
  • Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    gvf wrote:
    Just looks like a wide-angled shot to me, sharpened like a knife and saturated. It's nice and all, but beyond that.......

(it also has so much detail in all the buildings that it loses focus back there for me. The Eye is a sphere, light hits in degrees of sharpness - like a camera lens. However, this seems a contemporary style-thing, razor sharp all over the place, so....who am I)

Nothing wrong with a razor sharp image for architectural photography IMO. I'm an architect and photographer, from my perspective I want my buildings and photographs of said buildings to look sharp from front to back.