What size for Stock Photo Downloads?

rimglowrimglow Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited August 27, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
When I sell Stock Photos on other microstock sites, they want images pretty big. iStockPhoto encourages the contributors to submit images as high as 3300 x 4900, to be eligible for their XXLarge credits. That's approximately 11" x 16" @ 300 dpi. My camera will shoot at that resolution.
But what about here? Should I have hundreds of photos at that resolution? If you offer digital downloads at 3 resolutions, (Low-res, Hi-res, & Original) what do you suggest the size of the Original should be?

Comments

• photokandyphotokandy Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    rimglow wrote:
    When I sell Stock Photos on other microstock sites, they want images pretty big. iStockPhoto encourages the contributors to submit images as high as 3300 x 4900, to be eligible for their XXLarge credits. That's approximately 11" x 16" @ 300 dpi. My camera will shoot at that resolution.
    But what about here? Should I have hundreds of photos at that resolution? If you offer digital downloads at 3 resolutions, (Low-res, Hi-res, & Original) what do you suggest the size of the Original should be?
    When I'm working with stock photos, I like them to be as big as possible. That gives me a lot of flexibility in working with the image, regardless of what size the final result may be. It may be destined for the web, but having it large would give me the option of sending it to print, for example, should the need arise.

Not sure about others, but I'll happily take a big stock photo and resize it to what I need, rather than find myself limited to a small size when something else comes up that demands a larger size.

Also, if I come across a stock image I really like and want to use, but it isn't big enough, that throws a monkey wrench into my design plans. I either have to shrink everything else down, or find some other image.

Hope that helps...
    ~ Kerri, photoKandy Studios ( Facebook | Twitter )

Need customization services? View our packages or see our templates.

Note: I won't be offended if you edit my photo and repost it on dgrin -- I'm always open to new interpretations
    and ideas, and any helpful hints, tips, and/or critiques are welcome. Just don't post the edit anywhere else
    but dgrin, please.

My Gear List