Options

Why frequent errors when updating site-wide-customization

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited August 27, 2009 in Bug Reporting
About 1/3 of the time I hit the update button in the site-wide-customization screen, it reports an error in red at the top of the site-wide-customization screen. I have to scroll to the bottom and hit Update again and then it will take. This seems like poor behavior. Is this an SSL session timeout? Is this some conscious security setting? If it is for security reasons, please explain the rationale because I'm able to just hit Update again with no additional credentials supplied so I'm not sure I understand why hitting the button twice is more secure than hitting it once. Why is it doing this? It's quite annoying if you are a frequent customizer.

The same thing seems to happen to other customers. I suggest a change to them on dgrin. They say they applied the change and it didn't work. I go look at their page - they change has not been applied. They swear they hit update. I suspect they did hit update, but the site-wide-customization screen reported an error and they didn't notice.
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    JLDTifftJLDTifft Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    About 1/3 of the time I hit the update button in the site-wide-customization screen, it reports an error in red at the top of the site-wide-customization screen. I have to scroll to the bottom and hit Update again and then it will take. This seems like poor behavior. Is this an SSL session timeout? Is this some conscious security setting? If it is for security reasons, please explain the rationale because I'm able to just hit Update again with no additional credentials supplied so I'm not sure I understand why hitting the button twice is more secure than hitting it once. Why is it doing this? It's quite annoying if you are a frequent customizer.

The same thing seems to happen to other customers. I suggest a change to them on dgrin. They say they applied the change and it didn't work. I go look at their page - they change has not been applied. They swear they hit update. I suspect they did hit update, but the site-wide-customization screen reported an error and they didn't notice.

Same thing happens to me, also about 1/3 of the time. I have just been assuming the SM server was too busy at the moment but maybe there's a reason that can be corrected?

Jeanne Tifft
    JLD Tifft (Jeanne)
    Alexandria, VA.
    703-960-3873
    703-981-2294
    http://www.jldtifft.com
  • Options
    photostuffphotostuff Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    The same thing happens to me quite often and I agree it is very annoying. On occasion there actually is something I missed, but mostly it happens for no reason. The site-wide customization page needs improvement in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    Bump, anyone from Smugmug going to respond? I've gotten this error three times in the last 20 minutes. It's certainly not an intended part of the design. Why is this happening? Should I file a bug on it?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Bump, anyone from Smugmug going to respond? I've gotten this error three times in the last 20 minutes. It's certainly not an intended part of the design. Why is this happening? Should I file a bug on it?
    I don't know. Don't file a bug, I'll ask around. Bugs are filed when we can replicate it at-will, internally.

Thanks I'm checking.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    Just so we're clear here, we're talking about this error message:

2009-08-27_1428.png

It happens to me consistently, if I've had this window open for awhile (e.g. working on pasting in several different customizations) and then I press Update and it gives me this error. I think it also happens other times when I haven't had the window open as long, but I'm not sure how to reproduce that.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Just so we're clear here, we're talking about this error message:

2009-08-27_1428.png

It happens to me consistently, if I've had this window open for awhile (e.g. working on pasting in several different customizations) and then I press Update and it gives me this error. I think it also happens other times when I haven't had the window open as long, but I'm not sure how to reproduce that.
    I know the error. We have this, we're bugging it, and we hope to be able to fix it.

I cannot promise when it will be fixed. Only that our sorcerers know, and it's on our bug list.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I know the error. We have this, we're bugging it, and we hope to be able to fix it.

I cannot promise when it will be fixed. Only that our sorcerers know, and it's on our bug list.

Thanks!
    OK, thanks.
    --John
    HomepagePopular