Options

Selective desaturation - My take

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited August 27, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Not unintentional, but also not sought. This came about while exploring the image during the conversion to B&W. Have I mentioned I lust for eye contact?
630848978_Qftjv-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    I have no particular take on the selective desaturation technique, but I think there is a conflict of interests here.
    The primary subject of the image seems to be the guy looking at the camera (hence your "lust" comment:-), but it is not supported but colors or composition... Yes, you can "find" him eventually, but it's almost like looking at a puzzle and muttering "WTH I'm looking for here" ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited August 26, 2009
    I agree with Nik. I don't understand what you were trying to achieve here. Mostly, it calls attention to the red clothing, but also to a few signs and indistinct patches. The amount of red in the face looking at the camera is barely visible. What do these have in common and why do you want us to notice them? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2009
    I really, really have to hit myself to remind me to never, never put a subjective comment next to my own shots ever again. Dumb, dumb, dumb...

This is one of those shots that I like but knew instinctively that other's wouldn't get because they'd have to search for the payoff. And it's my payoff as I was there when I took it and know what else I felt and saw. Not the viewer's. I was in a strange mood that evening and had been walking around some central areas of Beijing for a long time knowing I'd end up in this area. I just wasn't sure what time of day.

I still like it and think it's worth studying. But I agree that it's unfair for others to see into my view at the time, and thus probably not a good shot.

Aside from all that, particularly interested in additional C&C. Gotta learn!
  • Options
    MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    I was actually drawn to him immediately, but that might have been a happy coincidence.

I like the idea here a lot. Maybe a different crop would help guide others to him more quickly?

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    I really, really have to hit myself to remind me to never, never put a subjective comment next to my own shots ever again. Dumb, dumb, dumb...

This is one of those shots that I like but knew instinctively that other's wouldn't get because they'd have to search for the payoff. And it's my payoff as I was there when I took it and know what else I felt and saw. Not the viewer's. I was in a strange mood that evening and had been walking around some central areas of Beijing for a long time knowing I'd end up in this area. I just wasn't sure what time of day.

I still like it and think it's worth studying. But I agree that it's unfair, and thus probably not a good shot for others.

First, the selective color: Why? What for? What's the point? "...what's it good for?!"

Second, the image - While you may, for some quite personal reason, "lust for eye contact," in most cases - yes, there are glaring exceptions - it ruins street photos. There's no trick to get someone to stare at you; the trick is getting an interesting scene, an unfolding story, and your presence doesn't disrupt and ruin. In this case, the photo is something of a human jumble, and the problem isn't the viewers don't have the patience to look for the subject, but rather the fact that, taken subjectively, there is no subject. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    for whatever reason I suddenly thought of the scene in Schindler's List with the little girl in the red coat... obviously your photo is not that depressing...
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Ok, someone please tell me that the OP has replaced the photo with a totally B&W version, and I'm not totally, hopelessly colorblind in the most literal sense... because I don't see anything colored at all in this photo...
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Ok, someone please tell me that the OP has replaced the photo with a totally B&W version, and I'm not totally, hopelessly colorblind in the most literal sense... because I don't see anything colored at all in this photo...

Time for the doctor visit!!! Front and center, the jacket is red. Other red stuff in the picture as well.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    I feel the same as everybody else above me. Even without your comment about the picture, I'd still have been trying to analyze why the color. Why red? What am I supposed to see when I look at the red spots of color? I understand it in wedding pictures and in children's portraits that I have seen here (It's pretty, I get it). But I feel like there's a meta-narrative that I am not getting when I see the selective coloring in this scene and the fact that it's repeated.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2009
    There are a few reddish coats.. and yes, the image is still OP, not a copy...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    I think it might have been more effective if everything had been desaturated except for the person looking directly at the camera.

(check Gary Ross's "Pleasantville" (1998) for masterly use of such a device…)

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    I think it might have been more effective if everything had been desaturated except for the person looking directly at the camera.

(check Gary Ross's "Pleasantville" (1998) for masterly use of such a device…)

thumb.gif

- Wil
    Or vise versa :-)
    Plus some radial zoom :-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Time for the doctor visit!!! Front and center, the jacket is red. Other red stuff in the picture as well.

Ok, this is just bizzare... I am actually somewhat colorblind, but between red and green... I know what the color red looks like, however, and I've seen selective coloring done before, with red objects, etc, and never had this problem...

So I saved the file and opened it in PS. I used the eyedropper to check the RGB values on the jacket, and I got results like (70,60,61) all over it. The other supposedly red areas (based on what people wrote) were similar. So does it look like a very faint, desaturated red color (it would appear that way based on the RGB values)? Because maybe my eyes just aren't sensitive enough for it to register... this sucks though, stuff like this makes me question whether my photos have all sorts of bizzare color casts that I'm oblivious to... although I try to stick to the numbers when doing skin tones, etc.

Why can't I just have a decent set of peepers, dammit?
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    I am not a fan of selective colouring, in fact, I have never ever attempted it intentionally. I wouldn't have the PS skills to pull it off well any way. In this case it showed itself as I desaturated the image and for some reason I left the version in that state until I noticed it again recently. I remember enjoying the openness of the image with so much light in a dark setting, but being disappointed in the lack of sharpness of the subject as I perceived it.
    Ok, this is just bizzare... I am actually somewhat colorblind, but between red and green... I know what the color red looks like, however, and I've seen selective coloring done before, with red objects, etc, and never had this problem...

Tim. I'm not colour blind, but I have a distinct variation of colour perception between my eyes. The best way to describe it is that they have a different white balance. Warmth and cool temperature differences. I attempt to use it to my advantage as a creative tool. Nice to have wet biology measuring devices available for some adjustments.

Here's the full colour version with the red very much front and centre as well as a quick B&W conversion. Both have been cropped identically and there's even a bit of lens flare that I hadn't noticed before. Everyone, I really appreciate the dialogue. People is turning into a great place to hang out.
    631834477_oKETq-L.jpg
    631834399_QKzcQ-L.jpg
  • Options
    FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    I actually don't have so much of a problem with the desaturation, as I do with the fact that the ONE person you caught looking at you is terribly out of focus. ne_nau.gif To my eyes it seems as though the moped in the lower left corner was the focus point?
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11