Help me get this look...

mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited August 31, 2009 in Finishing School
I see this style of PP in alot of different places but can't really figure out how to make it work. I like it alot and have a client that wants a few shots processed that way. I use PS CS3 and LIghtroom 2. Can anyone give me some help.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/mattpriestmanphotography/183b6bae00d05a3e6ea8361719a5a886.jpg

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/mattpriestmanphotography/7502d2699e986d9335709a9a62d02795.jpg

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/mattpriestmanphotography/95f7ccd480eeceab0a003cf395760e05.jpg

Comments

• Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Try this one
    This may work as the examples remind me of the Vintage New York LR preset.
    You can start here and then change to suit.

M
  • mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    This may work as the examples remind me of the Vintage New York LR preset.
    You can start here and then change to suit.

M

Thanks so much...I will try it!
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    They seem like a mixture of TRA or kubota actions.

Not free, but I see a ton of wedding photogs use these, including the "stars" of the industry.

For example, this looks similar to #2 but with a bit more Flare-up Golden.
    edited August 26, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    They seem like a mixture of TRA or kubota actions.

Not free, but I see a ton of wedding photogs use these, including the "stars" of the industry.

For example, this looks similar to #2 but with a bit more Flare-up Golden.

Yes, that is the look I am after. Are there any free tutorials you know of?
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Took about ten minutes in LR2 to duplicate it just working side by side with the image. So LR2 should be able to handle this with veritable ease and a bit of patience~
    tom wise
    edited August 26, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    Took about ten minutes in LR2 to duplicate it just working side by side with the image. So LR2 should be able to handle this with veritable ease and a bit of patience~

Well thats a relief. Any tips before I try. I am not a real big fan of Lightroom only because it gets a little buggy on my computer. I find myself using ACR more often than not. Do you think I can get the same effect there. I have tried to no real avail. I am pretty new to all the post processing so any head starts you might be able to offer would go along way. Thanks so much...
    edited August 27, 2009
    Also, just googled LR presets and came up with bunches of decent links!
    tom wise
    edited August 27, 2009
    mpriest13 wrote:
    Well thats a relief. Any tips before I try. I am not a real big fan of Lightroom only because it gets a little buggy on my computer. I find myself using ACR more often than not. Do you think I can get the same effect there. I have tried to no real avail. I am pretty new to all the post processing so any head starts you might be able to offer would go along way. Thanks so much...

I can't speak to ACR, because I don't own it. LR2 gets buggy for lots of folks, but typically only on the healing brush..and you won't need that here. I saved the preset I created doing this and can send it to you if you PM me an e-mail address~ or just send it to mine; angevin1@hotmail.com
    tom wise
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    mpriest13 wrote:
    Yes, that is the look I am after. Are there any free tutorials you know of?
    For most of these, you can create your own actions (PS) or preset (LR). You can also just spend some time search on the web or youtube and pay the money to buy the ones that someone created for you. Textures are really popular too these days and I think you'll see more photos with them.

I know that PioneerWoman blog has some free actions that has the yellow tint look to it.

For LR, it's just adjusting the basics (exposure, tint, WB, hue, saturation, luminescence, etc) until you achieve something that you like. There are many images these days that start with a WB adjust, a desaturation, and then a boast in the contrast.

I spent about three minutes on this and it is in the ballpark of the first image. I basically was comparing the bricks, the pipe and the dress...

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/mattpriestmanphotography/183b6bae00d05a3e6ea8361719a5a886.jpg

631556939_s7Kxs-M.jpg631555270_i5daz-M.jpg

The first image is SOC and I made some quick adjustments to the second one; it's not exactly the same, but close enough. In general, i adjusted the WB, bumped the fill, added some black, reduced the saturation, and then just fiddled with the HSL.

Personally, it's a look that I don't really like.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 27, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    For most of these, you can create your own actions (PS) or preset (LR). You can also just spend some time search on the web or youtube and pay the money to buy the ones that someone created for you. Textures are really popular too these days and I think you'll see more photos with them.

I know that PioneerWoman blog has some free actions that has the yellow tint look to it.

For LR, it's just adjusting the basics (exposure, tint, WB, hue, saturation, luminescence, etc) until you achieve something that you like. There are many images these days that start with a WB adjust, a desaturation, and then a boast in the contrast.

I spent about three minutes on this and it is in the ballpark of the first image. I basically was comparing the bricks, the pipe and the dress...

631556939_s7Kxs-M.jpg631555270_i5daz-M.jpg

The first image is SOC and I made some quick adjustments to the second one; it's not exactly the same, but close enough. In general, i adjusted the WB, bumped the fill, added some black, reduced the saturation, and then just fiddled with the HSL.

Personally, it's a look that I don't really like.

I don't care for it either April, but I suspect that it is much easier to create a "different look" with a preset, than a "better look".

Reminds me of the way color prints used to fade after a few years of storage in a drawer thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Your right Jim, reminds me of SEPIA TONING!

Nice look and feel, and the HL are really not white.
  • TosserTosser Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    To me it looks like the "aged photo" preset that comes with LR2.