Refurbished 40D now or wait?

firststring74firststring74 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited August 27, 2009 in Cameras
I have a 40D and love the camera. I have been waiting to upgrade my backup camera to another 40D, and now that they have been discontinued I am at a loss. I shoot mostly sports, is there another camera I should look at? I don't think the 50D will give me anything additional that I need, and I am not sure I am ready to step up to a full frame camera. I have seen a few refurbished 40D's for sale and I am wondering if I should grab one of them? Please help! Thanks

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    The come up here often enough (on the Flea Market), you should be able to find one without a problem
  • TrumeisterTrumeister Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 26, 2009
    Go for it
    Generally the refurbished cameras at B&H or Adorama are high quality. So you will probably get exactly what you want at a good price. I'm in a similar boat. I have a 40D now but the 50D just doesn't seem like enough of an upgrade. So I'm waiting for whatever replaces the 50D.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 26, 2009
    Trumeister wrote:
    Generally the refurbished cameras at B&H or Adorama are high quality. So you will probably get exactly what you want at a good price. I'm in a similar boat. I have a 40D now but the 50D just doesn't seem like enough of an upgrade. So I'm waiting for whatever replaces the 50D.

Trumeister, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your thoughts.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    If you're into sports AND you want full frame, prepare to pay through your nose. You'd need 1Ds body, and those are NOT cheap. If you're eyeballing 5D - forget it, it's not a sport shooter camera.
    Look for used 40D here on at Fred Miranda - they come up rather often, I'd say...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 26, 2009
    When someone mentions Canon and "sports" I generally recommend either the Canon 1D MKII, MKIIN or MKIII. The 1D MKII is actually fairly affordable now and you can find good copies for less than $1500USD. It is still very responsive and modern feeling, although heavy and the interface is totally unlike what you are probably used to.

Coupled to a fast sports lens the system is very empowering. (EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM, EF 300mm, f2.8L IS USM, EF 135mm, f2L USM, etc.)

Low light capability is fairly good and the responsiveness is better than any Canon xxD or dRebel. I like it for any night or indoor action. (It also works really well as a wedding camera.)

The AF section of the 1D MKII is still awesome and the camera is still used by many newspapers. You can even get the Sports Illustrated setup information that their pros use:

http://www.siphoto.com/?canon1DM2.inc
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    If you already love what the 40D does for you I see no reason not to grab another.

As for refurbed or used it's up to you, I'd go with the refurb though as the prices are pretty much the same and you'll get a warranty also.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Like Ziggy said if you can swing a 1 series by all means go for it. You'll be blown away by the speed of them and I'm not speaking of the FPS but more of the responsiveness of the shutter and AF of it.

The only problem is it'll ruin any XXD camera for you and you'll want nothing but a 1 series from that point on(for sports anyhow).
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    you might wait... If you can swing a ~$2700 camera, the upcoming 7D could be a junior 1D, like how the 5D2 is a junior 1Ds. That's what I'm waiting for. We should know by the end of September, or as early as 9/1.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    The jump from 40D to 1D/7D is long in terms of cash outlay, over $1,000 easily and probably more like $2K.

FWIW the rumors on the 7D are as follows thus far:

Crop sensor
    More AF points than 40D/5D
    Dual card slots
    Full HD video
    Dual Digic V processors (points to high fps)
    Probably $2,700

For the money the 40D is a heck of a bargain so I'd say if you're cash conscious go with that. If you want ultimate performance get a 1D Mark III or wait for the 7D and see what that is all about.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    If you are looking to grab a refurbished 40D, I would do so sooner than later. Once the supply dries up, then they will be hard to come by OR the ones that come up may have a greater chance that the reason it became a refurb was that there was a problem with the camera when first purchased.

I was facing the same dilemma with purchasing a refurbished 5D when the 5DII came out. Suddenly it dawned on me that if the 5D was discontinued, the supply of refurbs would dry up. A week after I ordered (a wonderfully new looking specimen), price increased by $100. The following week they were unavailable.

I use my 40D and my 5D for sports (high school and middle school volleyball and basketball) and am satisfied with both. I am sure I would be even more satisfied with a 1 series, but that is not a consideration currently for use by this hobbyist.