Fill Flash and glasses?

mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited September 3, 2009 in Technique
I am shooting an outdoor wedding this weekend and the bride wears glasses that reflect even the smallest amount of light. How can I use any type of fill flash and avoid reflections on her glasses?

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    mpriest13 wrote:
    I am shooting an outdoor wedding this weekend and the bride wears glasses that reflect even the smallest amount of light. How can I use any type of fill flash and avoid reflections on her glasses?

You have to shoot from an angle to the glasses and maybe use polarizer to help reduce the glare if it is major concern. I can't think of a guaranteed method that is not cumbersome.

alternatively you can ask her to put in contact lenses if she has them or take off the glass for shots where she is looking into the camera or pop the lenses out of the frame when she is not looking!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    shoot from an angle or a very slight tip down of her head......or tilting the glasses ever so slightly.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    I was just helping shepard some kids through at a school shoot, and the photographer had the kids and teachers tilt the glasses down ever so slightly, just just lifting the glasses up off the ear by a couple of millimeters. That can work for formals, but not so much in the reception/candids.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I was just helping shepard some kids through at a school shoot, and the photographer had the kids and teachers tilt the glasses down ever so slightly, just just lifting the glasses up off the ear by a couple of millimeters. That can work for formals, but not so much in the reception/candids.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I can't decide if i am going to ask if she would be willing not to wear them. I think I will give her the reason and explain that if she chooses to wear them that there will be glare on some fo the shots. That way she can make a choice for herself.
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Here is a decent tutorial on the Strobist blog:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2009/02/follow-bouncing-ball-for-advice-on.html

If your going to be firing dead on with fill as she is looking at the camera then welp that will be bad, other wise as long as you have some tilt or angle you should be fine.

Rob
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Robbug wrote:
    Here is a decent tutorial on the Strobist blog:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2009/02/follow-bouncing-ball-for-advice-on.html

If your going to be firing dead on with fill as she is looking at the camera then welp that will be bad, other wise as long as you have some tilt or angle you should be fine.

Rob

Brilliant video!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 30, 2009
    The video is very helpful for shooting in the studio.

It gets harder when shooting groups of people, with 3-5 of whom are bespectacled, and looking in different directions.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Yup, for those moments try to get the ones that have glasses on one side in the group so the light will reflect off their glasses at the same angle. If that isn't possible well you will just have to try to not get direct reflect-back.
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
  • sunxsweetsunxsweet Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    that's probably a great way to go... full disclosure. just tell her she will be responsible for some glare if she chooses to not go contacts.
    mpriest13 wrote:
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I can't decide if i am going to ask if she would be willing not to wear them. I think I will give her the reason and explain that if she chooses to wear them that there will be glare on some fo the shots. That way she can make a choice for herself.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    What were the results and if she kept the glasses, how did you fare?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site