Cutest dog in the world?

dyuhasdyuhas Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited September 16, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
626843346_Jpkxq-M.jpg

Meet Bijou, a Shi Tzu and Bichon Frise mix that belongs to friends of mine. I took this shot with a Gary Fong diffuser attached to a hot shoe flash. I managed to capture her during one of the few times she stopped moving.

Comments

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    People
    I think that dogs are people. At least in my house they are people.

In any case I do think she's cute. She looks totally to be a Bichon to me. All that said - nice capture. My personal opinion is that she's not the cutest but only because I am prejudiced that my own two are the best/cutest ever as any mother will tell you.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Not a big fan of this shot. Shoot pets from eye level or at least close. Imagine if you shot a portrait of a person laying down from this perspective; that's how it makes dogs look as well. We're just so used to seeing them like that, it doesn't bother us as much as it would for a person.
  • Balls187Balls187 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Not a big fan of this shot. Shoot pets from eye level or at least close. Imagine if you shot a portrait of a person laying down from this perspective; that's how it makes dogs look as well. We're just so used to seeing them like that, it doesn't bother us as much as it would for a person.

+1: Couldn't have said it better.
    I like to make pretty pictures. Maybe one day I'll be good at it.

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 40D
    16-35L II, 50F1.4, 50 Macro, 24-105L, 100 Macro
    Canon 580EXII, Sigma 500DG ST
    Blackrapid RS4
    photos.aballs.com

• KenlmasterKenlmaster Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 14, 2009
    Great picture.
    Dogs are family!
  • KenlmasterKenlmaster Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 14, 2009
    Just a couple dog pictures, showing some contrasts.
    COlors and size. The green doesn't present too rich, this small. Hey I'm just sharing the concept.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    Sometimes, pet shots from above do work--IMO, this one does. With her facial expression, to me it speaks to the human-dog bond. While technically she is looking at a camera, I see her looking at her master, saying "Just a little break and then I'm ready for you to throw the ball again, OK?!"

(I'm sure you can't tell from my name, or my avatar, or my web site -- that I'm a dog lover! :D )

The only thing that bothers me is her red eyes. I'm sure they are brown but they come across to me as red. You could probably do a little PP magic and fix that. Maybe a bit more sat and contrast also.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    dyuhas wrote:
    626843346_Jpkxq-M.jpg

Meet Bijou, a Shi Tzu and Bichon Frise mix that belongs to friends of mine. I took this shot with a Gary Fong diffuser attached to a hot shoe flash. I managed to capture her during one of the few times she stopped moving.

Photos of pets are like photos of anything else - to be good they have to involve more than simply pointing the camera and pushing the button. I am an animal person. I take zillions of photos of my dog and our cats - I even had a show of photos of one of the cats. But I approach photos of the animals the way I'd approach any other photo: I think about what I'm trying to accomplish with the photo; why I'm taking it; what it is about the particular pose or action of the subject that's attracting me; what the light's like and what I need to do about that; how I want to use the frame; etc. etc. etc. If I do anything else, I'm taking a "snapshot." mwink.gif

Sorry, but this is a snapshot of a little white dog with a ball at its feet. Get down on the floor about 10 feet from the dog. Roll the ball toward the dog. Shoot the dog, at dog level, as it comes toward you grabbing for the ball. Or bounce the ball off a wall so that it heads for the dog - shoot the dog as it charges. Or, if you want a portrait of the dog, approach making the portrait as you would making a portrait of a child.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    dyuhas,

This is all good advice, but you should temper it with the fact that you're posting in a photography forum. Had you posted this pic in a dog lover's forum, I'm sure it would be very well-received with very little criticism.

Your dog is very cute, but mine's cuter, sorry. :D

625391753_6ckXr-L.jpg
    jpc wrote:
    dyuhas,

This is all good advice, but you should temper it with the fact that you're posting in a photography forum. Had you posted this pic in a dog lover's forum, I'm sure it would be very well-received with very little criticism.

625391753_6ckXr-L.jpg

Well, if it's a dog lover's forum where people just post snapshots of their dogs, fine. But the photo you just posted stands on its own photographically, and is a far more interesting photo in both a photographic and a canine sense...rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Balls187Balls187 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    jpc wrote:
    dyuhas,

Definitely cute, but mine is the cutest. wings.gif

614542984_ArTiR-L.jpg
    I like to make pretty pictures. Maybe one day I'll be good at it.

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 40D
    16-35L II, 50F1.4, 50 Macro, 24-105L, 100 Macro
    Canon 580EXII, Sigma 500DG ST
    Blackrapid RS4
    photos.aballs.com

Here we go...clap.gif
    Well, if it's a dog lover's forum where people just post snapshots of their dogs, fine. But the photo you just posted stands on its own photographically, and is a far more interesting photo in both a photographic and a canine sense..

Thanks, B.D. I'm glad you like the pic. You can't go wrong with a Lake Ontario sunset. I think dyuhas might have started something, here. We'll see..
    jpc wrote:
    Here we go...clap.gif

Thanks, B.D. I'm glad you like the pic. You can't go wrong with a Lake Ontario sunset. I think dyuhas might have started something, here. We'll see..

Okay - if we're going to do the endless dog thing...

555374142_e3Bf8-XL-1.jpg

650607782_BZpFA-XL.jpg
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

Stay away from the aisle where they sell the cats!
    jpc wrote:
    Stay away from the aisle where they sell the cats!
    Laughing.gif!! :-) It's okay - he's big - abt 28 pounds, though it's mostly a belly from hell rolleyes1.gif . But he lives with three cats and he takes guff from no one. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

B.D - I just took a look at some of your journalism pics from the Neonatal ICU. What a stark contrast to our happy, healthy pets. I don't want to put a damper on our lighthearted (now completely hijacked) thread, but I was particularly moved by this image.

Thank you.

JP
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    jpc wrote:
    B.D - I just took a look at some of your journalism pics from the Neonatal ICU. What a stark contrast to our happy, healthy pets. I don't want to put a damper on our lighthearted (now completely hijacked) thread, but I was particularly moved by this image.

Thank you.

JP
    Striking image. Too close to home to look at the rest.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited September 16, 2009
    jpc wrote:

Thank you.

JP

Thanks very much. It is indeed a stark contrast. And it's great we have the dogs, cats, healthy kids, and glowing brides to balance out the harsher realities of life.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com