a Path, a Desert, a Distant Rainbow...

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited August 28, 2009 in Landscapes
There were three small rainbows in three different directions in the far distance. It was a kind of weird lighting, weird views, and I have two shots; one with a darker foreground, another with a brighter foreground. Suggestions are welcome....

630957547_TsABa-XL.jpg

630861332_43bzY-XL.jpg

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Of the two, I really prefer the 2nd shot. The contrast on the lower half is much better, IMO. I only have two small nits: 1. The road is a bit too centrally placed. If I had to, I'd crop predominantly from the right and perhaps make it into a square format with the road originating at the lower right corner. 2. The very bright part of the overhead cloud looks a bit blown out. I wonder if you can recover any detail there?

As I mentioned, these are small nits...personal preference really. :D Great job! clap.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    My suggestion:

Take more shots like this thumb.gif
    Randy
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Looks like a nice trail- is it drivable or limited to non motorized?

I agree with Mahesh. I would bring the right side in to the cactus to the right of the road. This will put the diagonal of the road right in the bottom right of the frame and create a leading line to the center of the image where all the good stuff is. deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • NyteNyte Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    I prefer the second version and love the sense of depth; it's as though you could dive into the picture between the layers formed by the clouds and land. That's probably a rather clumsy way of expressing what I'm attempting to, but in mitigation it's 2.30 am and way past my bedtime!
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Of the two, I really prefer the 2nd shot. The contrast on the lower half is much better, IMO. I only have two small nits: 1. The road is a bit too centrally placed. If I had to, I'd crop predominantly from the right and perhaps make it into a square format with the road originating at the lower right corner. 2. The very bright part of the overhead cloud looks a bit blown out. I wonder if you can recover any detail there?

As I mentioned, these are small nits...personal preference really. :D Great job! clap.gif

Thank you for your suggestion. I too prefer the second. I didn't take a filter for the lens...andwished I had; it probably would have helped with exposure for foreground and not having to worry so much about the sky. I will try the crop.
    edited August 26, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    My suggestion:

Take more shots like this thumb.gif

As soon as the weather permits I hope too! Thanks for your edifying words!
    edited August 26, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Looks like a nice trail- is it drivable or limited to non motorized?

I agree with Mahesh. I would bring the right side in to the cactus to the right of the road. This will put the diagonal of the road right in the bottom right of the frame and create a leading line to the center of the image where all the good stuff is. deal.gif

Only quads, bikes and feet. We actually scared up a doe and lots of coveys of quail! Yep, will try the crop!
    edited August 26, 2009
    Nyte wrote:
    I prefer the second version and love the sense of depth; it's as though you could dive into the picture between the layers formed by the clouds and land. That's probably a rather clumsy way of expressing what I'm attempting to, but in mitigation it's 2.30 am and way past my bedtime!

Thank you for your kind and not so clumsy words. I felt like I could have flown to the end of the trail...if it were not so hot! :D
  • DripfaucetDripfaucet Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    i prefer the richness of the foreground in the second shot.
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    The contrast in the foreground on the second shot really emphasizes the vibrance of the green leaves and the muddy feel of the clay... just like I would expect it after a rain shower passed through. I can smell the wet mesquite and sage. Very well done.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • MarcyMarcy Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    where are you in AZ - I winter in Mesa - love your locations shots - maybe we can get together for some shoots this fall and winter
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Definitely prefer #2. I agree with the crop suggestion--think it would look better with some of the right side removed. Of all the posts in this thread, Randy has given you the best advice: Keep shooting this! :D

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Yo. Awesome! I'll leave the crit to others- just wanted to say.

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Eia, the second photo is stunning. I love it!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Stunning! I love the rainbow and clouds! Thanks for sharing with us!
    edited August 27, 2009
    Thanks all for the kudos! #2 it is!
    edited August 27, 2009
    Cropped version:

632138057_KPbsR-XL-1.jpg
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    thumb.gif
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gifthumb.gif from me too on the cropped version! :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Both are great but I prefer the second because of the foreground.
    You got some great clouds and the rainbow is a nice little touch.
  • Lasting LightLasting Light Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    The second version works much better. It is beautiful scenery, with the rainbow adding the touch of magic to make it different from many others. I might be tempted to crop down from the top, taking out the bright area of the sky and thereby concentrating on the detail and colour in the scene.
    edited August 28, 2009
    The second version works much better. It is beautiful scenery, with the rainbow adding the touch of magic to make it different from many others. I might be tempted to crop down from the top, taking out the bright area of the sky and thereby concentrating on the detail and colour in the scene.

Thanks for your suggestion. We really do have great light. I enjoy the learning process trying to capture it.