b/w conversion attempt II

DripfaucetDripfaucet Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited August 27, 2009 in Landscapes
i got lots of good feedback from my first post. I thought i would try another photo. .here is my second attempt:

631447331_DGiuA-XL.jpg

I'm having trouble cropping these vast landscapes to give it a "subject". perhaps i need a better eye for composition when shooting? anyone have any good reads on finding the shots in "big" situations?
Brad

wormer.smugmug.com

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Here's my totally biased take on it (coming from A Curmudgeon…)

B&W and colour are two totally different things; what works in B&W doesn't (usually) work in colour.

You need light. Your picture shows light, but there really isn't all that much contrast.

I'm not sure what the subject is either…

Trees… lots of trees… and there's a crag or a rock in the middle… it's a bit far away and at this distance I can't see if there are any Valkyries riding around it on their winged steeds (we might need to get closer to see that…)

It's pretty flat (no, not the landscape, silly…) I mean there's not really any depth to the picture; my eye's not really being led anywhere, it's sort of wandering around on its own…

Apart from that, it's practically perfect (in every way - just like Mary Poppins :D)

- Wil

BTW Welcome to dgrin… (take no notice of my wretched meanderings… there are better critics here, who will give you far better advice, and are not backward about coming forward thumb.gif)
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Dripfaucet wrote:
    i got lots of good feedback from my first post. I thought i would try another photo. .here is my second attempt:

631447331_DGiuA-XL.jpg

I'm having trouble cropping these vast landscapes to give it a "subject". perhaps i need a better eye for composition when shooting? anyone have any good reads on finding the shots in "big" situations?

I'll take this down if you have any problem with what I've done, but I find your image a bit washed out. This may be just something to my tastes as I tend to prefer higher contrast BW images. Now, I'm not a photoshop wiz, and using your above JPG did create some limitations, but I tried to really boost the contrast and add some blacks into your image. What do you think about the below edit? This is just one possible way you might look at going.

And if your above image is what makes you happy, then that's great. That's the important thing.

631447331_DGiuA-XL.jpg
  • DripfaucetDripfaucet Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Here's my totally biased take on it (coming from A Curmudgeon…)

B&W and colour are two totally different things; what works in B&W doesn't (usually) work in colour.

You need light. Your picture shows light, but there really isn't all that much contrast.

I'm not sure what the subject is either…

Trees… lots of trees… and there's a crag or a rock in the middle… it's a bit far away and at this distance I can't see if there are any Valkyries riding around it on their winged steeds (we might need to get closer to see that…)

It's pretty flat (no, not the landscape, silly…) I mean there's not really any depth to the picture; my eye's not really being led anywhere, it's sort of wandering around on its own…

Apart from that, it's practically perfect (in every way - just like Mary Poppins :D)

- Wil

BTW Welcome to dgrin… (take no notice of my wretched meanderings… there are better critics here, who will give you far better advice, and are not backward about coming forward thumb.gif)

thanks for the feedback. more contrast, more defined subject. better flow and direction, get up closer on the valkyries. noted! :)
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com
    edited August 27, 2009
    I'll take this down if you have any problem with what I've done, but I find your image a bit washed out. This may be just something to my tastes as I tend to prefer higher contrast BW images. Now, I'm not a photoshop wiz, and using your above JPG did create some limitations, but I tried to really boost the contrast and add some blacks into your image. What do you think about the below edit? This is just one possible way you might look at going.

And if your above image is what makes you happy, then that's great. That's the important thing.

i don't mind you tweaking my image at all. i see where you were going with the contrast, but it goes beyond what i saw through the lens. i think i'll meet yours in the middle somewhere.
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Dripfaucet wrote:
    i don't mind you tweaking my image at all. i see where you were going with the contrast, but it goes beyond what i saw through the lens. i think i'll meet yours in the middle somewhere.

Haha, normally we see color through the lens.

Look forward to seeing your next photos.thumb.gif
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    If I were taking this shot I would have concentrated on that interesting rock outcropping. Composition depends on what you want to show specifically (IMHO). You have several neat elements going on here. The rock outcropping, the masses of trees (composition of many), and the textured sky. If I had taken this photo I would have concentrated on one of those elements and let the other two "support it". Here is my "edit" of this photo. Also if you want me to I will take it down immediately.

1.jpg

I intended in this edit to draw viewers to the sky and then move the eyes down through the rock outcropping. Of course that is my interpretation of your photo.

Edited with Aperture and Photomatix Pro to bring the sky to the front.

Rob

p.s. I would love to see the color version though. I think this one would be better in color since the trees just die into the background.
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Beautiful, moody shot, Brad! I think Rob's crop of your image improves the composition, but your shot is also beautiful as is. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited August 27, 2009
    Haha, normally we see color through the lens.

Look forward to seeing your next photos.thumb.gif

haha. well color, yes. but i meant there was not a huge black storm brewing over the mountains.
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com
    edited August 27, 2009
    Robbug wrote:
    If I were taking this shot I would have concentrated on that interesting rock outcropping. Composition depends on what you want to show specifically (IMHO). You have several neat elements going on here. The rock outcropping, the masses of trees (composition of many), and the textured sky. If I had taken this photo I would have concentrated on one of those elements and let the other two "support it". Here is my "edit" of this photo. Also if you want me to I will take it down immediately.

1.jpg

I intended in this edit to draw viewers to the sky and then move the eyes down through the rock outcropping. Of course that is my interpretation of your photo.

Edited with Aperture and Photomatix Pro to bring the sky to the front.

Rob

p.s. I would love to see the color version though. I think this one would be better in color since the trees just die into the background.

good suggestion on the crop, i do like that comp better. i'll see about posting the color version when i'm back at home.
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com