Options

How to become a 2nd Shooter

tboned22tboned22 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited August 28, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
After attending the first every SMUG in Tampa this week I am seriously giving thought to getting into weddnig photography. I have done two weddings but they were not big productions. I would like to get experience and learn from other Pros in the area.

What is the best way to become a 2nd shooter for wedding photographers? What are some pitfalls to being a 2nd shooter and are there any life lessons anyone can impart?

Thank you!

BTW this is my first SMUG post. I have only been a SMUGGER for over a year now.:clap

Comments

• Options
    MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Hi there--welcome to dgrin!

As for second shooting, I'd suggest researching the local photographers and finding out which ones whose work you like and would like to learn from. Then, I would contact them and ask if you can second shoot--the worse they can say is no. I'm assuming you have some sort of portfolio you could show them? And of course, be willing to do it for free and under the terms they set.

Also browse through the wedding section here on dgrin, see if there are any dgrinners in your area that you could second shoot with. I'm sure there are many other ways, too...
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Find some portfolios you like and photographers that are popular. Then either email them or give them a call. Like Mishka said, you might have to be willing to do one wedding for free so they can see if you work well with them. Don't be overly concerned with making money when you start out second shooting. If it does blossom into you opening your own studio, the few hundred dollars you made second shooting will be nothing in comparison to the value of the portfolio you've built.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2009
    Good advice! I attended the first SMUg event in our area this week...was able to network a little bit. Also, I found a good website called meetup.com and found some local groups to network with!

Question, what are some bad terms to avoid when second shooting?

Thanks!

Marc
    Mishka wrote:
    Hi there--welcome to dgrin!

As for second shooting, I'd suggest researching the local photographers and finding out which ones whose work you like and would like to learn from. Then, I would contact them and ask if you can second shoot--the worse they can say is no. I'm assuming you have some sort of portfolio you could show them? And of course, be willing to do it for free and under the terms they set.

Also browse through the wedding section here on dgrin, see if there are any dgrinners in your area that you could second shoot with. I'm sure there are many other ways, too...
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2009
    I have heard bad things about doing work for FREE.

I understand the logic that you posted. When shooting for free are you still able to retain the rights to the photos that you take? What terms should I avoid?

Marc
    Find some portfolios you like and photographers that are popular. Then either email them or give them a call. Like Mishka said, you might have to be willing to do one wedding for free so they can see if you work well with them. Don't be overly concerned with making money when you start out second shooting. If it does blossom into you opening your own studio, the few hundred dollars you made second shooting will be nothing in comparison to the value of the portfolio you've built.
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    tboned22 wrote:
    I have heard bad things about doing work for FREE.

I understand the logic that you posted. When shooting for free are you still able to retain the rights to the photos that you take? What terms should I avoid?

Marc

There's nothing wrong with doing second shooting for free. You're giving the photographer value in extra shots and help lugging gear, he's giving you value in allowing you to build a portfolio.

You should establish a contract with the photographer you work with. Spell out that you retain the rights to works you create to display in a portfolio. Other than that, you shouldn't expect any other rights. Be sure to spell this out. If your employment is as an independent contractor, you keep full copyright over the images, and the photog will be licensing from you. If you are an employee, your photos are treated as works created while under the employ of the photographer, and are therefore owned 100% by him. You cannot use them under any circumstances unless you license them from him.

That being said, a contract will ensure that both parties know what to expect.
  • Options
    BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    tboned22 wrote:
    After attending the first every SMUG in Tampa this week I am seriously giving thought to getting into weddnig photography. I have done two weddings but they were not big productions. I would like to get experience and learn from other Pros in the area.

What is the best way to become a 2nd shooter for wedding photographers? What are some pitfalls to being a 2nd shooter and are there any life lessons anyone can impart?

Thank you!

BTW this is my first SMUG post. I have only been a SMUGGER for over a year now.clap.gif

You are right, you shouldn't work for free or give your product away.
    BUT, if you are able to find a good wedding photog who will allow you to assist him on a shoot, and take the time to show you the ropes, I would consider that more of a learning experience.
    People pay lots of $$$$ to attend schools, seminars, etc to get this same kind of training- if you can hook up with the right person, you will be assisting him and gaining very valuable knowledge and experience in the process- something much more valuable than one paycheck.

As far as retaining your rights, there are some wedding photogs who market everything under their own name, including the photos shot by their assistants. They pay their assistants a set fee for the day, hire them under a 'work for hire', and thereby own the copyrights on all of the photos taken for that shoot.

There are other photogs who will give photo-credit to the photos shot by the assistants, and allow them to retain their copyright, but do not pay them extra for the photos used in the Bride&Groom album/cd.

It's up to you to negotiate with the person you are assisting to arrive at a working relationship that is comfortable and benefits both of you.

Whatever you decide, be sure ALL of the terms are spelled out in a contract signed by both of you!!!!