Zydrate

FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
edited August 27, 2009 in People
Was asked to photograph a friend's band tonight. Zydrate They played an acoustic show at a local mall store Hot Topic. Thanks for looking, and as always I learn from your knowledge, so feel free to give gentle CC.

631439093_Uvxmp-L.jpg

631439046_xJUfQ-L.jpg

631440027_Sh6w9-L.jpg

4. (Proud girlfriend)
631441444_hwuFG-L.jpg

5.(I couldn't seem to get the mic wire out of the frame without it looking like garbage)
631446582_x3CQ6-L.jpg

631445863_nejet-L.jpg

631444518_pGtSU-L.jpg

631442178_ceiCQ-L.jpg

631441909_gstuY-L.jpg

10. a picture of a part of a person :D I had to catch his tattoo wedding ring.
631445350_tuLxh-L.jpg
~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
my real job
looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11

Comments

• whiteaglewhiteagle Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    I don't know if I can say this gently or not, but...

Good Job! clap.gif

Given that your location was a crappy mall store and the fact that you were working with all the lighting ambiance of a wal-mart, you did a good job. My only suggestion is to not be afraid to be a little more intrusive. I mean don't ruin the show, but if it helps, think of it this way. People will leave the show and have forgotten about it by the weekend, but your pictures last forever. I'd like to call this guy a friend, but he's really more of an internet aquentaince. Check out, some of his concert photos and you'll see what I mean by being acceptably intrusive.
    My website: Fresh Edge Photo
    My latest project: Worship Backgrounds
    My twitter habit: Daniel Roberts
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Laughing.gif, thanks! I'm unsure of how to be more "intrusive" though? Given the crappy set-up, I'm not sure I could have gotten anything like what that guy shows, holy cow! iloveyou.gif
    ~Shannon~

my real job
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Quick question: why are so many of the shots from such a low perspective?

Most singers tend to look up when they sing, so you lose a lot of the face when you shoot from down low.
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    I'm digging number 1, Shannon. A few of them (4 through 7) don't really hold up to the standards of the rest but, overall, they are great.

I disagree with Ben that there is a problem with the angle these were shot from. Musicians are larger than life and shooting low helps emphasize this. There is plenty of concert photography out on the web, though, so don't take my word for it. thumb.gif
    Travis
    edited August 27, 2009
    The low angle is quite appropriate for #2. However, I am curious as to why all the shots are from a low angle.
    edited August 27, 2009
    The low angle is quite appropriate for #2. However, I am curious as to why all the shots are from a low angle.

Ben, good question......typically if the band were on a stage, this would be the perspective an audience member would get, the "larger than life look". In this instance however, the performance was at a crummy mall store. The band was performing right in front of the sales counter, and I was for a good portion of the performance, sitting on the floor in front of said counter. I attempted to borrow a stool at one point to gain a higher vantage point and was sternly told NO, by the 16 yr. old kid working there. rolleyes1.gif If you look at the rest of the pics I posted on my smug, you can see some variance, but the setting wouldn't allow for much.
    ~Shannon~

my real job
    edited August 27, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    I'm digging number 1, Shannon. A few of them (4 through 7) don't really hold up to the standards of the rest but, overall, they are great.

I disagree with Ben that there is a problem with the angle these were shot from. Musicians are larger than life and shooting low helps emphasize this. There is plenty of concert photography out on the web, though, so don't take my word for it. thumb.gif

Thanks Travis! #1 is my fav!! They loved the pics!
    ~Shannon~

my real job
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Nice series, esp. when you consider your location. Generally, really wide open mouths don't work for me as much, so the first one isn't as much of a favorite. I like his intensity in 9 better (just me). Wasn't bothered by the angle, and had you been up higher you would have had more display racks and such as background which might not have worked so well.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited August 27, 2009
    Flutist wrote:
    I attempted to borrow a stool at one point to gain a higher vantage point and was sternly told NO, by the 16 yr. old kid working there.

Understood. It's probably very cramped in a store, so it may have been a fire/safety hazard.
    edited August 27, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Nice series, esp. when you consider your location. Generally, really wide open mouths don't work for me as much, so the first one isn't as much of a favorite. I like his intensity in 9 better (just me). Wasn't bothered by the angle, and had you been up higher you would have had more display racks and such as background which might not have worked so well.

Thank you Andrew! The wide open mouth in #1 I thought to be appropriate, they are a bit of a screamo band so I attempted to show his.....volume level. rolleyes1.gif
    ~Shannon~

my real job
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Then you captured that perfectly!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited August 27, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Then you captured that perfectly!
    :ivar
    ~Shannon~

my real job