Attacked in Yellowstone by a ruthless predator

FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited September 23, 2009 in Technique

Well, OK it was not by this one but devastating, none the less. I was shocked to see during post processing how much sensor dust was splattered all over my images. During my 10 days in the park I was switching between my 2 zooms. I thought I was being very careful to prevent any dust or debris from getting into my camera but somehow my photos taken during the last days of my trip were covered in specks and splotches. I spent each nigh in a hotel and did not have any windy, gusty days where the dust was blowing around. So, my question to you all is how do you keep from this happening on a fast paced outdoor shoot? How do you clean your sensor while out in the wilderness. List your techniques for changing your lenses in the field
629192530_R2CXE-L.jpg

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 27, 2009
    I try to point the "front" of the camera body down as I remove/replace the lens.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    It helps to have a camera with built in cleaning systems. One of mine does.

With the other, I pack a squeeze bulb blower and will occasionally blast the senser with air.
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    I never change lens. One camera per lens...
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
  • ZimtokZimtok Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    BeemerChef wrote:
    I never change lens. One camera per lens...

Do you have a pack mule to carry your equipment?ne_nau.gif

As stated above, I try to change lenses quickly, in a clean area, camera pointing down. My Canon 40D and 50D do have sensor cleaners so turning it off and on during a normal day of shooting will generally keep it clean.

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    Zimtok wrote:
    Do you have a pack mule to carry your equipment?ne_nau.gif

As stated above, I try to change lenses quickly, in a clean area, camera pointing down. My Canon 40D and 50D do have sensor cleaners so turning it off and on during a normal day of shooting will generally keep it clean.

Well, if you've got 1 camera with an 18-200, or maybe 2 cameras with say, the above 18-200, and a 10-20, or a 10-20 and 70-200, or 18-50 and 50-200, well you get the idea. Not too much more weight, your lenses are ready to go instantly, (no more cursing when you've got a 70-200 on your camera and a hawk lands 2 feet away with a turtle in its beak) and your sensors stay clean.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 12, 2009
    I have always used a two body system, even in film days.

One wide or normal zoom, and the other a tele zoom. That lets me cover from 16-24 mm on out to 200 or 300 mm which covers an awful lot of ground.

Helps keep your sensor cleaner toothumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ZimtokZimtok Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    InsuredDisaster,
    I do a modified version of what your describing.
    I have two bodies, one with a general 28-70mm lens for quick photos. I hardly ever remove the lens from this body.
    The other body usually has my 70-200mm. If I feel the need to change to a differrent lens I usually swap lenses on this body.

Of course every situation may require a different approch, this apporch fits most of the situations I find myself in.

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    FlyNavy wrote:
    So, my question to you all is how do you keep from this happening on a fast paced outdoor shoot? How do you clean your sensor while out in the wilderness. List your techniques for changing your lenses in the field

I have 2 cameras with lenses attached.....so I do not have to change lenses.
    If for some reason I have to change them I make sure that the cam stays pointed to the ground to minimize any dust getting into camera....it is tough to bet the lens attached until you get used to doing it this way.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    FlyNavy wrote:

Well, OK it was not by this one but devastating, none the less. I was shocked to see during post processing how much sensor dust was splattered all over my images. During my 10 days in the park I was switching between my 2 zooms. I thought I was being very careful to prevent any dust or debris from getting into my camera but somehow my photos taken during the last days of my trip were covered in specks and splotches. I spent each nigh in a hotel and did not have any windy, gusty days where the dust was blowing around. So, my question to you all is how do you keep from this happening on a fast paced outdoor shoot? How do you clean your sensor while out in the wilderness. List your techniques for changing your lenses in the field
    629192530_R2CXE-L.jpg
    Are you sure this is sensor dust? Dust on the sensor should make darker spots (it blocks light) not bright spots.

On the original question, I try hard to avoid changing lenses outdoors. I have kept my older bodies and often have other lenses on them.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2009
    Looks like dust on the buffalo... maybe flies or debris flying around.

How do I change lenses? Point my back into the wind, change the lens, shoot, then stop by at the Jamesburg NJ Canon service center on my way into work on Monday and drop my bodies off for free cleaning rolleyes1.gifrofl
  • ilsladoilslado Banned Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 22, 2009
    Thanks so much for sharing the post.
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    With the other, I pack a squeeze bulb blower and will occasionally blast the senser with air.

That is exactly what I have and what I do. Needless to say it works toothumb.gif
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson