Weekly Assignment #130: Pinhole

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited August 27, 2009 in Assignments
This one is a classic. A camera with no lens. Just a (really small) hole in an otherwise opaque material. Here is my own experiment, took me about 2 minutes total to prep it
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=141842

So, your task is to achieve a similar (and hopefully, much more better quality) goal. What do you need to know is:
  • Put a lot of attention to the mount quality to avoid the stray light.
    I found out the kenko tubes work the best as a base, but just being carefull would work...
  • To get the sharpest pictures you need the smallest hole. Like, seriously small. Like a human hair small. Start with a pin and see if you can get it smaller by adjusting the size
  • The hole border quality (i.e. "crater walls") can bring some interesting effects, play with it
  • You can actually have longer focal length but moving your "hole" away from the camera. Again, kenko tubes work great in that respect. Just remember: the longer away your whole, the "slower" your "lens" is.
  • Especially with a longer focal length, a tripod, MLU (or liveview) mode and a remote release may become necessary to obtain highest quality pictures.
Your entry shall contain at least one pin hole image and, hopefully, picture of the setup. Since such pictures often lack EXIF, please try to provide all the pertinent info, i.e. ISO, shutter speed, focal length (i.e. distance from the mount), etc.
Multiple focal lengths are encouraged. So are special effects (hole off center, non round whole, multiple wholes, crater refraction, etc.)

Let's get pinholed!
"May the f/stop be with you!"